Host Reactions to Infection
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The reaction of a host to infectious stimuli can differ and manifest in various ways. This includes common host reactions such as acute purulent inflammation, granulomatous inflammation, viral inclusions, reactive atypia, and necrosis. Less common host reactions may also occur such as those encountered in immunocompromised hosts and atypical responses to microorganisms like inflammatory pseudotumor formation, xanthogranulomatous inflammation, malakoplakia, emperipolesis, ciliocytophthoria, and crystal formation. Awareness and recognition of these reactions and their cytomorphologic features can help identify potential infectious agents.
- Brummer E. Human defenses against Cryptococcus neoformans: an update. Mycopathologia. 1999;143:121–5. CrossRef
- Gupta M, Venkatesh SK, Kumar A, Pandey R. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of bilateral renal malakoplakia. Diagn Cytopathol. 2004;31:116–7. CrossRef
- Hadziyannis E, Yen-Lieberman B, Hall G, Procop GW. Ciliocytophthoria in clinical virology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:1220–3.
- Kradin RL, Mark EJ. The pathology of pulmonary disorders due to Aspergillus spp. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132:606–14.
- Kumar N, Jain S, Murthy NS. Utility of repeat fine needle aspiration in acute suppurative lesions: follow-up of 263 cases. Acta Cytol. 2004;48:337–40. CrossRef
- Pantanowitz L, Balogh K. Charcot-Leyden crystals: pathology and diagnostic utility. Ear Nose Throat J. 2004;83:489–90.
- Pantanowitz L, Omar T, Sonnendecker H, Karstaedt AS. Bone marrow cryptococcal infection in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Infect. 2000;41:92–4. CrossRef
- Rodig SJ, Dorfman DM. Splendore-Hoeppli phenomenon. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2001;125:1515–6.
- Sereti I, Rodger AJ, French MA. Biomarkers in immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: signals from pathogenesis. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2010;5:504–10. CrossRef
- Zeppa P, Vetrani A, Ciancia G, Cuccuru A, Palombini L. Hemophagocytic histiocytosis diagnosed by fine needle aspiration cytology of the spleen: a case report. Acta Cytol. 2004;48:415–9. CrossRef
- Host Reactions to Infection
- Book Title
- Cytopathology of Infectious Diseases
- pp 13-36
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Essentials in Cytopathology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.