A New Approach to Acoustic Tomography Using Diffraction Techniques
A method is presented for the three-dimensional reconstruction of objects from their two-dimensional profiles obtained by ultrasonic imaging techniques. This method uses a perturbation approximation to the propagating field to solve for the ultrasonic velocity distribution based on the wave equation. In this technique, no assumptions are made about the ultrasonic ray geometries. Furthermore, the reconstruction is carried out in the frequency domain, making the method also computationally efficient. Some numerical simulation results are presented.
- K. Iwata and R. Nagata, “Calculation of Three-Dimensional Refractive Index Distribution from Interferograms”, J. Opt. Soc. of America, Vol. 60, pp. 133–135, 1970. CrossRef
- E. Wolf, “Three-Dimensional Structure Determination of Semi- Transparent Objects from Holographic Data”, Optics Communications, Vol. 1, pp. 153–156, 1969. CrossRef
- R. Bracewell and A. Riddle, “Inversion of Fanbeam Scans in Radio Astronomy”, The Astrophys. J., Vol. 150, pp. 427–434, 1967. CrossRef
- D. DeRosier and A. Klug, “Reconstruction of Three-Dimensional Structures from Electron Micrographs”, Nature, Vol. 217, pp. 130–134, 1968. CrossRef
- R. Gordon, R. Bender and G. Herman, “Algebraic Reconstruction Techniques (ART) for Three-Dimensional Electron Microscopy and X-Ray Photography”, J. Theor. Biol., Vol. 29, pp. 471–481, 1971. CrossRef
- J. Greenleaf et al., “Algebraic Reconstruction of Spatial Distributions of Acoustic Absorption within Tissue from their Two-Dimensional Acoustic Projections”, Acoustical Holography, Vol. 5, pp. 591–603, 1974.
- J. Greenleaf et al., “Algebraic Reconstruction of Spatial Distributions of Acoustic Velocities in Tissue from their Time-of-Flight Profiles”, Acoustical Holography, Vol. 6, pp. 71–90, 1975.
- R. Mersereau and A. Oppenheim, “Digital Reconstruction of Multidimensional Signals from their Projections”, IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 62, pp. 1319–1338, 1974. CrossRef
- G. Herman and S. Rowland, “ART: Mathematics and Applications. A Report on the Mathematical Foundations and on Applicability to Real Data of the Algebraic Reconstruction Techniques”, J. Theor. Biol., Vol. 43, pp. 1–32, 1973. CrossRef
- S. Bezuszka, “Scattering of underwater plane ultrasonic waves by liquid cylindrical obstacles”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 25, November 1953.
- A New Approach to Acoustic Tomography Using Diffraction Techniques
- Book Title
- Acoustical Imaging
- Book Subtitle
- Ultrasonic Visualization and Characterization
- pp 615-628
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Acoustical Imaging
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.