Search for Cosmic Ray Monopole Flux Using Superconductive Detectors
- Blas Cabrera
- … show all 1 hide
On February 14, 1982 in our laboratory a prototype superconductive detector designed to search for magnetic monopoles observed a single candidate event. Even though it has not been possible to rule out a spurious cause, the possible existence of superheavy magnetically charged particles passing through the earth’s surface has produced enormous interest within the scientific community. During this last year, we have designed, built and are now operating a new superconductive detector with three larger independent sensing loops used in coincidence. In addition we are planning an order of magnitude yet larger detector utilizing a superconducting sheet which will be periodically scanned with a magnetometer. This paper summarizes our work on these detectors.
- P. A. M. Dirac, Proc. Roy. Soc. A 133, 60 (1931);
- P. A. M. Dirac,Phys. Rev. 74, 817 (1948). CrossRef
- G. ’t Hooft, Nucl. Phys. 79B, 276 (1974) CrossRef
- G. ’t Hooft, Nucl. Phys. 105B, 538 (1976); CrossRef
- A. M. Polyakov, JETP Letts. 20, 194 (1974).
- G. ’t Hooft, Nucl. Phys. 79B, 276 (1974) and Nucl. Phys. 105B, 538 (1976); A. M. Polyakov, JETP Letts. 20, 194 (1974).
- L.W. Alvarez, Lawrence Radiation Laboratory Physics Note 470, 1963 (unpublished);
- P. Eberhard, Lawrence Radiation Laboratory Physics Note 506, 1964 (unpublished);
- L. J. Tassie, Nuovo Cimento 38, 1935 (1965); CrossRef
- L. Vant-Hull, Phys. Rev. 173, 1412 (1968); CrossRef
- P. Eberhard, D. Ross, L. Alvarez and R. Watt, Phys. Rev. D 4, 3260 (1971); for more recent work, see papers by C.C. Tsuei and D. Cline in ref. 3.
- B.Cabrera, Phys. Rev. Lett. 48, 1378 (1982); see also paper by B. Cabrera in ref. 3. CrossRef
- W.O.Hamilton, P. B. Pipes, S. Kleve, T. P. Bernat, D. G. Blair, D.H. Darling, D. Dewitt, M. S. McAshan, R. Taber, S. P. Boughn, W. M. Fairbank, W. P. Montgomery and W. C. Oelfke, Cryogenics, March 1982, p. 107.
- Search for Cosmic Ray Monopole Flux Using Superconductive Detectors
- Book Title
- Electroweak Effects at High Energies
- Book Part
- pp 611-627
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Plenum Press, New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.