Field Evaluation of Insecticides for Control of Larvae of Corn Rootworms
- Z. B. Mayo Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Since crop rotation is the only practical, nonchemical control for corn rootworms (western corn rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera Le-Conte, and northern corn rootworm, D. barberi Smith and Lawrence), there has been heavy reliance placed on the use of insecticides. This chapter focuses on the application equipment, experimental procedures, and plot designs used in small-plot experiments to evaluate insecticides for control of corn rootworm larvae.
- Anonymous. (1954) Golden nematode handbook. USDA, ARS, Plant Pest Control Branch, Golden Nematode Control Project. Hicksville, N.Y. 25 pp.
- Apple JW (1957) Reduced dosages of insecticides for corn rootworm control. J Econ Entomol 50: 28–30.
- Apple JW (1960) Granular insecticides in the row for soil insect control on corn. Proc North Cent Branch Entomol Soc Am 15: 86–88.
- Apple JW (1961) Appraisal of insecticidal granules in the row against damage by the northern corn rootworm. J Econ Entomol 54: 833–836.
- Apple JW, Walgenbach ET, Knee WJ (1969) Northern corn rootworm control by granular insecticide application at planting and cultivation time. J Econ Entomol 62: 1033–1035.
- Apple JW, Chiang HC, English LM, French LK, Keaster, AJ, Krause GF, Mayo ZB, Munson JD, Musick GJ, Owens JC, Rasmussen EE, Sechriest RE, Tol- lefson JJ, Wedberg, JL. (1977) Impact of northern and western corn rootworm larvae on field corn. North Central Regional Research Publication No. 239. University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 10 pp.
- Ball HJ, Weekman GT (1962) Insecticide resistance in the adult western corn rootworm in Nebraska. J Econ Entomol 55: 439–441.
- Bergman MK, Tollefson JJ, Hinz PN (1981) Sampling scheme for estimating populations of corn rootworm larvae. Environ Entomol 10: 986–990.
- Branson TF, Sutter GR, Fisher JR (1980) Plant response to stress induced by artificial infestations of western corn rootworm. Environ Entomol 9: 253–257.
- Burkhardt CC (1954) Chemical control of the western corn rootworm in Kansas in 1953. J Econ Entomol 47: 691–696.
- Cox HC, Lilly JH (1953) Chemical control of the corn rootworm. J Econ Entomol 46: 217–224.
- Hill RE, Mayo ZB (1974) Trap-corn to control corn rootworms. J Econ Entomol 67: 748–750.
- Hill RE, Hixson E, Muma MH (1948) Corn rootworm control tests with Benzene Hexachloride, DDT, nitrogen fertilizers and crop rotations. J Econ Entomol 41: 392–401.
- Hills TM, Peters DC (1971) A method of evaluating postplanting insecticide treatments for control of western corn rootworm larvae. J Econ Entomol 64: 764–765.
- Hills TM, Peters DC (1972) Methods of applying insecticides for controlling western corn rootworm larvae. J Econ Entomol 65: 1714–1718.
- Hills TM, Peters DC, Lovely WG (1972) Application equipment and techniques used in the evaluation of granular insecticides for control of western corn rootworm larvae. J Econ Entomol 65: 1116–1119.
- Lilly JH (1954) Insecticidal control of the corn rootworm in 1953. J Econ Entomol 47: 651–658.
- Mayo ZB (1975) A five-year comparison of insecticides applied to control larvae of western and northern corn rootworms. Univ Nebraska, Agric Exp Stn SB 535, 15 pp.
- Mayo ZB (1980) Influence of planting dates on the efficacy of soil insecticides applied to control larvae of the western and northern corn rootworm. J Econ Entomol 73: 211–212.
- Muma MH, Hill, RE, Hixson, E (1949) Soil treatments for corn rootworm control. J Econ Entomol 42: 822–824.
- Munson JD, Hill RE (1970) Insecticides applied at planting time for control of corn rootworm larvae in Nebraska. J Econ Entomol 63: 1614–1617.
- Munson RE, Brindley TA, Peters DC, Lovely WG (1970) Control of both the European corn borer and western corn rootworms with one application of insecticide. J Econ Entomol 63: 385–390.
- Musick GJ, Fairchild ML (1967) Preliminary study on some of the factors affecting control of western corn rootworm larvae with soil insecticides. J Econ Entomol 60: 1522–1525.
- Musick GJ, Suttle PJ (1972) Ohio northern corn rootworm research, Part I: Chemical control. Annual Report. Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, Wooster, Ohio.
- Musick GJ, Chiang HC, Luckmann WH, Mayo ZB, Turpin FT (1980) Impact of planting dates of field corn on beetle emergence and damage by the western and the northern corn rootworm in the corn belt. Ann Entomol Soc Am 73: 207–215.
- Ortman EE, Peters DC, Fitzgerald PJ (1968) Vertical-pull technique for evaluating tolerance of corn root systems to northern and western corn rootworms. J Econ Entomol 61: 373–375.
- Peters DC (1964) Recent results of soil insecticide tests in Iowa. Proc North Cent Branch Entomol Soc Am 19: 95–97.
- Peters LL (1978) Applicator for applying granual insecticides to small plots at planting time. J Econ Entomol 71: 217–218.
- Weekman GT (1961) Problems in rootworm control. Proc North Cent Branch Entomol Soc Am 16: 32–34.
- Weiss MJ, Mayo ZB (1983) Potential of corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chryso- melidae) larval counts to estimate larval populations to make control decisions. J Econ Entomol 76:158–161. Welch VA (1977) Breeding for corn rootworm resistance or tolerance. 32 Annual Corn and Sorghum Res Conf, Amer Seed Trade Assn, Washington, D.C. pp. 131–142.
- Welch VA (1977) Breeding for corn rootworm resistance or tolerance. 32 Annual Corn and Sorghum Res Conf, Amer Seed Trade Assn, Washington, D.C. pp. 131–142.
- Field Evaluation of Insecticides for Control of Larvae of Corn Rootworms
- Book Title
- Methods for the Study of Pest Diabrotica
- pp 183-203
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Springer Series in Experimental Entomology
- Series ISSN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.