An Immersion Grating for an Astronomical Spectrograph
- Hans Dekker
- … show all 1 hide
When a reflection grating is immersed in a medium instead of in air, i.e. when it is used on the rear side of a prism, a resolving power increase of n(the index of the medium) is obtained. A further increase due to the anamorphic effect is possible by inclining the entrance face of the prism. In practice an increase in resolving power of about 2.3 compared to the same grating used in air can be reached in the visible wavelength range. Larger gains are possible in the IR due to the availability of high-index materials.
The design of an anamorphic immersion échelle for the ESO MultiMode Instru-ment (EMMI) is described. With this grating it is possible to reach a resolving power of 6.104 with a 1″ slit on ESO7#x2019;s 3.5 m NTT, using a collimated beam size of just 120 mm.
- M.C. Hutlev: Diffraction Gratings(Techniques of Physics Vol. 6), Academic Press, London 1982.
- D.N.B. Hall: in Optical and Infrared Telescopes for the 1990s, ed. by A. Hewitt (Tucson 1980), 339.
- D. Enard: in Very Large Telescopes, Their Instrumentation and ProgramsI.A.U Colloquium no. 79, ed. by M.-H. Ulrich and K. Kjär (Garching 1984), 439.
- C. Roddier and F.Roddier: in Second Workshop on ES O’s Very Large TelescopeESO Conference and Workshop Proceedings No. 24, ed. by S. D’Odorico and J.-P. Swings (Garching 1986), 269.
- R.S. Longhurst: Geometrical and Physical Optics(Longman, London 1973), 270.
- L. Sica Jr: U.S. Pat. no. 4.475.792.
- R. Bingham, private communication.
- P. Wizinowich: CFHT Bull, no. 15(1986).
- D. Salmon, private communication.
- H. Dekker, B. Delabre and S. D’Odorico: in Instrumentation in Astronomy VI(Proc. SPIE Vol. 626 Tucson, 1986), 339.
- An Immersion Grating for an Astronomical Spectrograph
- Book Title
- Instrumentation for Ground-Based Optical Astronomy
- Book Subtitle
- Present and Future The Ninth Santa Cruz Summer Workshop in Astronomy and Astrophysics, July 13–July 24, 1987, Lick Observatory
- Book Part
- Session 2
- pp 183-188
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Santa Cruz Summer Workshops in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.