The Northern Regional Fetal Abnormality Survey
Antenatal care took a quantum leap forward when techniques, including in particular sonar examination, made it possible to assess certain aspects of fetal health and development antenatally in a non-invasive way. Initially such techniques were largely used in the review and assessment of high risk pregnancies, but alphafetoprotein (AFP) and sonar screening are now being widely used to screen all mothers for fetal abnormality in early pregnancy. The reliability of such techniques in expert hands has been well documented, but the reliability of these approaches when used in a routine district health service setting has not so far been monitored. False positive and false negative diagnoses are almost inevitable when any newly developed screening programme is first set up, but the only available information on the accuracy of sonar diagnosis was coming from a small number of referral centres with a concentration of specialist experience serving an ill-defined catchment area.
- Northern Regional Health Authority Coordinating Group. Perinatal mortality: a continuing collaborative regional survey. Br Med J 1984; 288:1717–20. CrossRef
- Knox EG, Armstrong EH, Lancashire R. The quality of notification of congenital malformations. J Epidemiol Community Health 1984; 38:296–305. CrossRef
- Office of Population Censuses and Surveys. Abortion Statistics 1985–1987. Reports AB12, 13 and 14. London: HMSO, 1986–8.
- Maxwell DJ, Crawford DC, Curry PVM et al. Obstetric importance, diagnosis and management of fetal tachycardias. Br Med J 1988; 297:107–10. CrossRef
- Lenke RR, Hatch EI. Fetal gastroschisis: a preliminary report advocating the use of caesarean section. Obstet Gynecol 1986; 67:395–8.
- Owens JR, Harris F, McAllister E et al. 19-year incidence of neural tube defect in an area under constant surveillance. Lancet 1981; ii:1032–5. CrossRef
- Carstairs V, Cole SE. Spina bifida and anencephaly in Scotland. Br Med J 1984; 289:1182–4. CrossRef
- Walker S, Howard PJ. Cytogenetic prenatal diagnosis and its relative effectiveness in the Mersey Region and North Wales. Prenat Diagn 1986; 6:13–23. CrossRef
- Wald NJ, Cuckle HS, Densen JW et al. Maternal serum screening for Down’s syndrome in early pregnancy. Br Med J 1988; 297:883–7. CrossRef
- Edwards MJ, Graham JM. Posterior nuchal cystic hygroma. Clin Perinatol 1990; 17:611–40.
- Clayton-Smith J, Farndon PA, McKeown C et al. Examination of fetuses after induced abortion for fetal abnormality. Br Med J 1990; 300:295–7. CrossRef
- Hall MH (ed.) Antenatal care. Baillieres Clin Obstet Gynecol 1990; 4:1–232.
- The Northern Regional Fetal Abnormality Survey
- Book Title
- Antenatal Diagnosis of Fetal Abnormalities
- Book Part
- Section I
- pp 13-34
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.