Unsteady RANS Calculation of Flow Over Ahmed Car Model
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Three-dimensional separated flow around Ahmed car model has been studied by numerical simulation to solve the unsteady Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (URANS) equations. The simulation considers experimental model with two slant angles of 25° and 35°. After some priori tests, baseline meshes have been identified with 1.5–1.9 × 106 elements for each case. After the precursor steady flow calculation, unsteady simulation continued for further two shedding cycles. Both mean and instantaneous quantities of the flow are accumulated and compared with available test data at representative measurement planes/locations. It was found that for two slant angles considered the time-averaged mean streamwise velocity of URANS predictions are compared fairly well with the experimental data with correct profile and same magnitude of peak. It was also observed that the slant angle has considerable influences on the downstream flow, particularly the flow recirculation, turbulence kinetic energy (TKE) distributions. The separated shear layers from the slant edges are merging together to form large size trailing vortex. While the flow structures agree qualitatively well with the measurement, the TKE has been under-estimated in wake region. This is mainly due to the limitation of two-equation turbulence model for massive separated flow with strong vortex shedding. Further advancement to large eddy simulation will provide a solution for this kind of flow.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Ahmed, S.R., Ramm, G. and Faltin, G., Some salient features of the time averaged ground vehicle wake. SAE paper no. 840300 (1984).
- Lienhart, H., Stoots, C. and Becker, S., Flow and turbulence structures in the wake of a simplified car model (Ahmed model). In DGLR Fach. Symp. Der AG STAB (2000).
- Han, T., Computational analysis of three-dimensional turbulent flow over a bluff body in ground proximity. AIAA Journal, 27 (1989) 1213–1219. CrossRef
- Manceau, R. and Bonnet, J.P. (eds.), Proceedings of the 10th ERCOFTAC/IAHR/QNET-CFD Workshop on Refined Turbulence Modelling, Oct. 10–11, 2002. Laboratoire d'études Aerodynamiques, UMR CNRS 6609, Université de Poitiers, France, 2003. http://www. iahr.org/newsweb/conferences/10thercoftac.htm.
- Kapadia, S., Rpy, S. and Wurtzler, K., Detached eddy simulation over a reference Ahmed car model. AIAA paper 2003-0857 (2003).
- Howard, R.J.A. and Pourquie, M., Large eddy simulation of an Ahmed reference model. Journal of Turbulence, 3 (2002) Art no. 012.
- Moin. P., Advances in large eddy simulation methodology for complex flows. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 23 (2002), 710–720. CrossRef
About this Chapter
- Unsteady RANS Calculation of Flow Over Ahmed Car Model
- Book Title
- IUTAM Symposium on Unsteady Separated Flows and their Control
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium “Unsteady Separated Flows and their Control“, Corfu, Greece, 18–22 June 2007
- Book Part
- pp 471-476
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- IUTAM Bookseries
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Unsteady RANS
- Ahmed model
- Separated flow
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse, Unité Mixte de Recherche CNRS 5502
- 2. Division of Biological Engineering, Monash University
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Faculty of Engineering, Kingston University, Roehampton Vale, Friars Avenue, London SW15 3DW, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.