What Can Argumentation Tell Us About Epistemology?
- William A. SandovalAffiliated withGraduate School of Education & Information Studies, UCLA
- , Kelli A. MillwoodAffiliated withMetiri Group
Who, besides scientists, engages in what we would call scientific argumentation? When? for what purpose? As calls for argumentation to take a central place in science instruction increase (Driver et al., 2000; Duschl & Osborne, 2002; Kuhn, 1993b), answers to these questions become more important. There are two key claims for engaging students in scientific argumentation. One is that argumentation is a central practice of science, and thus should be at the core of science education. The other is that understanding the norms of scientific argumentation can lead students to understand the epistemological bases of scientific practice. We are more interested in this second claim. We think it unlikely that people who do not practice science are likely to engage in truly scientific argumentation. At the same time, we see everyday contexts all around us where people might apply scientific arguments to further other kinds of arguments. For example, using arguments about global climate change to argue for or against particular energy policies or even personal consumer decisions.
- What Can Argumentation Tell Us About Epistemology?
- Book Title
- Argumentation in Science Education
- Book Subtitle
- Perspectives from Classroom-Based Research
- Book Part
- pp 71-88
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Science & Technology Education Library
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science + Business Media B.V
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Bristol
- 2. Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, UCLA, 2339 Moore Hall 405 Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1521, USA
- 4. Metiri Group, 600 Corporate Pointe Suite 1180, Culver City, CA, 90230, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.