Fundamental Concepts in Ecology
- Guy McPherson
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Even though exurban development claims millions of acres of privately owned wildlands, most Americans have a limited grasp of the ecological impacts that development brings. This chapter bridges the knowledge gap in two ways. First, it explains the role of ecology in understanding wildland ecosystems. Issues covered include the scope and objectives of ecology, its history and background, and the potential for introducing a land ethic in exurban land development. Second, it describes basic terms, concepts, and ecological processes that appear in subsequent chapters. This provides readers with a richer understanding of the in-depth material provided in these chapters. The chapter also discusses natural science disciplines that play a role in the science of land development beyond the metropolitan fringe.
- Alpert, P. 1995. Incarnating ecosystem management. Conservation Biology 9:952–955. CrossRef
- Brunner, R. D., and Clark, T. W. 1997. A practice-based approach to ecosystem management. Conservation Biology 11:48–58. CrossRef
- Carson, R. 1962. Silent Spring. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Czech, B. 2000. Shoveling Fuel for a Runaway Train: Errant Economists, Shameful Spenders, and a Plan to Stop them All. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Darwin, C. 1859. On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. London, UK: John Murray Publishers.
- Dunne, T., and Leopold, L. B. 1978. Water in Environmental Planning. San Francisco, CA: W.H. Freeman.
- Forman, R. T. T., Sperling, D., Bissonette, J. A., Clevenger, A. P., Cutshall, C. D., Dale, V. H., Fahrig, L., France, R., Goldman, C. R., Heanue, K., Jones, J. A., Swanson, F. J., Turrentine, T., and Winter, T. C. 2003. Road Ecology: Science and Solutions. Washington, D.C.: Island Press.
- Grumbine, R. E. 1994. What is ecosystem management? Conservation Biology 8:27–38. CrossRef
- Hansen, J., Sato, Mki., Kharecha, P., Russell, G., Lea, D. W., and Siddall, M. 2007. Climate change and trace gases. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 365:1925–1954. CrossRef
- Hobbs, R. J. 1998. Managing ecological systems and processes. In Ecological Scale: Theory and Applications, eds. D. L. Peterson and V. T. Parker, pp. 459–484. New York, NY: Columbia University Press.
- Keddy, P. A. 1989. Competition. New York, NY: Chapman and Hall.
- Keiter, R. B. 1995. Greater Yellowstone: managing a charismatic ecosystem. Natural Resources and Environmental Issues 3:75–85.
- Krebs, C. J. 1972. Ecology: The Experimental Analysis of Distribution and Abundance. New York, NY: Harper and Row.
- Leopold, A. E. 1949. A Sand County Almanac, and Sketches Here and There. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Likens, G. E. 1998. Limitations to intellectual progress in ecosystem science. In Successes, Limitations, and Frontiers in Ecosystem Science, eds. M. Pace and P. Groffman, pp. 247–271. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag. CrossRef
- Lindeman, R. L. 1942. The trophic-dynamic aspect of ecology. Ecology 23:399–418. CrossRef
- Lovelock, J. E. 2006. The Revenge of Gaia: Earth’s Climate Crisis and the Fate of Humanity. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- McIntosh, R. P. 1985. The Background of Ecology: Concept and Theory. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- McPherson, G. R., and DeStefano, S. 2003. Applied Ecology and Natural Resource Management. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Odum, E. P. 1971. Fundamentals of Ecology. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders.
- Peters, R. H. 1991. A Critique for Ecology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Peterson, D. L., and Parker, V. T. 1998. Ecological Scale: Theory and Applications. New York, NY: Columbia University Press.
- Pickett, S. T. A., Kolasa, J., and Jones, C. G. 1994. Ecological Understanding: The Nature of Theory and the Theory of Nature. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Platt, J. R. 1964. Strong inference. Science 146:347–353. CrossRef
- Ricklefs, R. E., and Miller, G. L. 2000. Ecology. New York, NY: W.H. Freeman.
- Spellerberg, I. F. 2002. Ecological Effects of Roads. Enfield, NH: Science Publishers.
- Underwood, A. J. 1995. Ecological research and (and research into) environmental management. Ecological Applications 5:232–247. CrossRef
- Wetzel, R. G., and Likens, G. E. 1991. Limnological Analysis. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders.
- Fundamental Concepts in Ecology
- Book Title
- The Planner's Guide to Natural Resource Conservation:
- Book Subtitle
- The Science of Land Development Beyond the Metropolitan Fringe
- pp 27-37
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.