Leaf Area Calculating Based on Digital Image
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A new and simple method for plant leaf area measurement using image processing technique was provided. Sixty leaves with different shape and size of six plant species were selected for study. The software using for image processing and leaf area calculation was matlab6.0. Experiments were performed to test the performance of the estimating system by comparing the estimated leaf area with the grid square leaf area. The range of relative errors of estimation were 4.42-7.81%, 3.56-8.01%, 4.12-6.97%, 3.89-7.28%, 4.23- 8.12% and 3.56-7.03% for Eucommia Bark, Paulownia, Maidenhair tree, Bamboo, Cycad, Weed respectively. The results illuminate the more close to rectangle area the more accurate of the estimating leaf area. So it can be concluded that the method developed in this study obtained the sufficient accuracy for the possible non-destructive leaf area measurement.
- Chien C.F., and T.T. Lin. 2000a. Non-destructive measurement of vegetable seedling leaf area using elliptical Hough transform. ASAE Parpe No. 003023. St. Joseph, Mich: ASAE.
- Chien, C.F., and T.T. Lin. 2000b. An image processing method to measure overlapped leaf area using elliptical Hough transform. J. Agric. Machinery 9 (4):47-64 (in Chinese), English summary.
- Cirak C., Odabas M.S., Ayan A.K., 2004. Leaf area prediction model for summer snowflake (Leucojum aestivum) International Journal of botany.
- Daughtry. 1990. Direct measurements of canopy structure. Remote Sensing reviews. 5, 45-60
- Eschenbach, C., Kappen, L., Leaf area index determination in an alder forest: a comparison of three methods. J. Exp. Bot. 47, 1457-1462.
- Gamiei. Y.S., Randle W.M., Milisha, Smittleda, 1991. A rapid and non-destructive method for estimating leaf area of onions. Horticultural Science, 26: 206.
- Gholz, H.L., Ewel, K., Tesky, R.O., 1990. Water and forest productivity. For. Ecol. Manage. 30, 1-18. CrossRef
- Iakahiro Kanuma, K. Ganno, S. Hayashi etc. Leaf Area Measurement Using Stereo vision. Artificial Intelligence in Agricultural. 1998.
- Lieih J .H., James F.R., Hugo H.R., 1986. Estimation of leaf area of soybeans grown under elevated carbon dioxide levels. Field Crop Research, 13: 193-203. CrossRef
- Meyer G.E., and D.A., Davidson, 1987. An electronic image plant growth measurement system. Trans. of the ASAE, 30(1), 242-248.
- Mohsenin N.N., 1986. Physical Properties of Plant and Animal Materials. Gordon and Breach Science Publisher. New York, pp. 107-110.
- Nyakwende E.C., J. Paul and J .G. Atherton, 1997, Non-destructive determination of leaf area in tomato plants using image processing. Journal of horticultural science, 72 (2), 255-262.
- Leaf Area Calculating Based on Digital Image
- Book Title
- Computer And Computing Technologies In Agriculture, Volume II
- Book Subtitle
- First IFIP TC 12 International Conference on Computer and Computing Technologies in Agriculture (CCTA 2007), Wuyishan, China, August 18-20, 2007
- pp 1427-1433
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- The International Federation for Information Processing
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- leaf area
- image processing
- grid square
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.