Genetic Algorithm for Energy-Efficient Trees in Wireless Sensor Networks
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This chapter is the extended work of the paper titled “Genetic Algorithm for Data Aggregation Trees in Wireless Sensor Networks”, appeared in Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Intelligent Environments (IE), Ulm, Germany, September 24–25, 2007. presents a genetic algorithm (GA) to generate balanced and energy-efficient data aggregation spanning trees for wireless sensor networks. In a data gathering round, a single best tree consumes lowest energy from all nodes but assigns more load to some sensors. As a result, the energy resources of heavily loaded nodes will be depleted earlier than others. Therefore, a collection of trees need to be used that balance load among nodes and consume less energy. The proposed GA takes these two issues in generating aggregation trees. The GA is simulated in an open-source simulator, J-sim. The simulation results show that proposed GA outperforms a few other data aggregation tree-based approaches in terms of extending network lifetime.
- Abidi, A. A., Pottie, G. J., and Kaiser, W. J. (2000). Power-conscious design of wireless circuits and systems. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 88(10):1528–45.
- Dasgupta, K. Kalpakis, K., and Namjoshi, P. (2003). An efficient clustering-based heuristic for data gathering and aggregation in sensor networks. In IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference.
- Özgür Tan, H. and Körpeoğlu İ. (2003). Power efficient data gathering and aggregation in wireless sensor networks. SIGMOD Rec., 32(4):66–71. CrossRef
- Erramilli, V., Matta, I., and Bestavros, A. (2004). On the interaction between data aggregation and topology control in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of SECON, pages 557–565.
- Ferentinos, K. P., Tsiligiridis, T. A., and Arvanitis, K. G. (2005). Energy optimization of wirless sensor networks for environmental measurements. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Measurement Systems and Applications (CIMSA).
- Goldberg, D., Karp, B., Ke, Y., Nath, S., and Seshan, S. (1989). Genetic algorithms in search, optimization, and machine learning. Addison-Wesley.
- Heinzelman, W. R., Chandrakasan, A., and Balakrishnan, H. (2000). Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Hussain, S. and Islam, O. (2007). An energy efficient spanning tree based multi-hop routing in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC).
- Hussain, S. Islam, O., and Matin, A. W. (2007). Genetic algorithm for energy efficient clusters in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Information Technology: New Generations (ITNG). IEEE Computer Society.
- Islam, O. and Hussain, S. (2006). An intelligent multi-hop routing for wireless sensor networks. In Workshop Proceedings of the IEEE/WIC/ACM Inter-national Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology, (IAT). IEEE Computer Society.
- Islam, O. and Hussain, S. (2007). Effect of layers on simulation of wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications (ICWMC). IEEE Computer Society.
- Jin, S., Zhou, M., and Wu, A. S. (2003). Sensor network optimization using a genetic algorithm. In Proceedings of the 7th World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics.
- Kalpakis, K., Dasgupta, K., and Namjoshi, P. (2002). Maximum lifetime data gathering and aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In IEEE Inter-national Conference on Networking, pages 685–696.
- Khanna, R. Liu, H., and Chen, H.-H. (2006). Self-organisation of sensor networks using genetic algorithms. International Journal of Sensor Networks (IJSNET), 1(3/4).
- Kreinovich, V., Quintana, C., and Fuentes, O. (1993). Genetic algorithms: what fitness scaling is optimal. Cybernetics and Systems: an International Journal, 24:9–26. CrossRef
- Schurgers, C. and Srivastava, M. B. (2001). Energy efficient routing in wireless sensor networks. MILCOM, pages 357–361.
- Genetic Algorithm for Energy-Efficient Trees in Wireless Sensor Networks
- Book Title
- Advanced Intelligent Environments
- pp 139-173
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- Wireless sensor networks
- Genetic algorithm
- Energy efficient
- Data aggregation trees
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.