Measuring Ball Spin Off a Tennis Racket
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A series of experiments were carried out in which a spinning tennis ball was projected obliquely at a head clamped racket. In each experiment a different string was used in the racket frame. An automated image analysis algorithm was used to measure the velocity and spin of the ball. It has been found that, for the majority of impacts, the magnitude of the ball rebound spin was dependent on string stiffness. It has been concluded that the string stiffness influences the magnitude of stringbed lateral movement during impact. This differing magnitude of lateral string movement, in turn, influences the amount of ball rebound spin.
- Choppin, S., Goodwill, S.R. and Haake, S.J. (2005) 3D Player testing. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on the Engineering of Sport (ed F. Moritz & S.J. Haake).
- Cross, R. (2001) Stretch tests on strings, Racquet Tech, September, 12–18.
- Daish, C.B. (1972) The Physics of Ball Games. English Universities Press, London.
- Fischer W. (1977) Tennis Racket, US Patent 4273331, 8th December 1977.
- Goodwill, S.R. and Haake, S.J. (2004a) Ball spin generation for oblique impacts with a tennis racket, Experimental Mechanics, 44(2), 195–206. CrossRef
- Goodwill, S.R. and Haake, S.J., (2004b) Effect of string tension on the impact between a tennis ball and racket. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on the Engineering of Sport (ed M. Hubbard, R.D. Mehta & J.M. Pallis), 2, 3–9.
- Hall, D. (2002) Three-dimensional reconstruction from planar slices, http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadAuthor.do?objectType=author&objectId=982174
- Lindsey, C. (2002) String Selector Map, Racquet Tech, February, 4–8.
- Lindsey, C. (2004) String Selector Map 2004, Racquet Sports Industry, 1(7), 24–29.
- Measuring Ball Spin Off a Tennis Racket
- Book Title
- The Engineering of Sport 6
- Book Subtitle
- Volume 1: Developments for Sports
- Book Part
- pp 379-384
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. SportKreativWerkstatt GmbH
- 2. Centre for Sport and Exercise Science Collegiate Hall, Sheffield Hallam University
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Sports Engineering, CSES, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield
- 4. International Tennis Federation, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.