Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Mary Jane WeissAffiliated withDouglas Developmental Disabilities Center Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Email author
- , Kate FiskeAffiliated withDouglas Developmental Disabilities Center Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Email author
- , Suzannah FerraioliAffiliated withDouglas Developmental Disabilities Center Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Email author
This chapter provides an overview of the treatment of autism spectrum disorders. This is both an exCiting and confusing time within treatment for autism; early identification continues to allow for more intensive and effective early intervention, prevalence estimates of autism are suggesting increased incidence, and claims for effective treatment abound. Consumers are faced with myriad choices for treatment, and have difficulty navigating the claims and opinions of professionals from multiple perspectives and disciplines.
In this chapter, we review the evidence for the effectiveness of behavior analytic interventions for autism. We also review the evidence for nonbehavior analytic interventions. In addition, we describe interventions that have been targeted to individuals with Asperger's syndrome, and we discuss the relevance and use of functional assessment procedures for developing effective behavior intervention plans for individuals with ASDs. We also highlight new directions within treatment, including some social skill interventions and information on early identification.
- Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Book Title
- Treating Childhood Psychopathology and Developmental Disabilities
- Book Part
- pp 287-332
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science + Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Louisiana State University
- 2. Department of Psychology, University of West Florida
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Douglas Developmental Disabilities Center Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ, 08901
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.