A Metamodel Based Optimisation Algorithm for Metal Forming Processes
- M.H.A. BonteAffiliated withUniversity of Twente, Faculty of Engineering Technology
- , A.H. van den BoogaardAffiliated withUniversity of Twente, Faculty of Engineering Technology
- , J. HuétinkAffiliated withUniversity of Twente, Faculty of Engineering Technology
Cost saving and product improvement have always been important goals in the metal forming industry. To achieve these goals, metal forming processes need to be optimised. During the last decades, simulation software based on the Finite Element Method (FEM) has significantly contributed to designing feasible processes more easily. More recently, the possibility of coupling FEM to mathematical optimisation algorithms is offering a very promising opportunity to design optimal metal forming processes instead of only feasible ones. However, which optimisation algorithm to use is still not clear.
In this paper, an optimisation algorithm based on metamodelling techniques is proposed for optimising metal forming processes. The algorithm incorporates nonlinear FEM simulations which can be very time consuming to execute. As an illustration of its capabilities, the proposed algorithm is applied to optimise the internal pressure and axial feeding load paths of a hydroforming process. The product formed by the optimised process outperforms products produced by other, arbitrarily selected load paths. These results indicate the high potential of the proposed algorithm for optimising metal forming processes using time consuming FEM simulations.
Key wordsoptimisation metal forming finite element method meta-modelling hydroforming
- A Metamodel Based Optimisation Algorithm for Metal Forming Processes
- Book Title
- Advanced Methods in Material Forming
- pp 55-72
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- metal forming
- finite element method
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.