Preliminary Evaluation of a Hybrid Deterministic/Adaptive Router
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A novel routing scheme is proposed for virtual cut-through routing that attempts to combine the low routing delay of determinis- tic routing with the exibility and low queuing delays of adaptive rout- ing. This hybrid routing mechanism relies on a pipelined implementation where different paths and stages of the router are used for different rout- ing modes. A simulation based experimental evaluation of these three schemes shows that the hybrid scheme does indeed achieve its objectives.
- K. Aoyama and A. Chien. The cost of adaptivity and virtual lanes in wormhole router. J. of VLSI Design, 2(4), 1995.
- P. Berman, L. Gravano, G. Pifarre, and J. Sanz. Adaptive deadlock and livelock free routing with all minimal paths in torus networks. In Proc. of the Symp. on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, pages 3–12, 1992.
- A. Chien. A cost and speed model for k-ary n-cube wormhole routers. In IEEE Proc. of Hot Interconnects, Aug. 1993.
- W. Dally, A. Chien, and et al. The J-Machine: a fine-grain concurrent computer. In Proc. of the IFIP Congress, pages 1147–1153, Aug. 1989.
- W. J. Dally. Virtual-channel ow control. IEEE Trans. on Computers, 3(2):194–205, March 1992.
- B. Dao, S. Yalamanchili, and J. Duato. Architectural support for reducing communication overhead in multiprocessor interconnection networks. In High Performance Computer Architecture, pages 343–352, 1997.
- J. Duato. Deadlock-free adaptive routing algorithms for multicomputers: Evaluation of a new algorithm. In Proc. of the 3rd IEEE Symp. on Parallel and Distributed Processing, Dec. 1991.
- J. Duato. A new theory of deadlock-free adaptive routing in wormhole networks. IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 4(12):1320–1331, December 1993.
- J. Duato and P. Lopez. Performance evaluation of adaptive routing algorithms for k-ary n-cubes. In Parallel Computer Routing and Communication, pages 45–59, 1994.
- J. Duato, P. Lopez, F. Silva, and S. Yalamanchili. A high performance router architecture for interconnection networks. In Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing, August 1996.
- J. Duato, P. Lopez, and S. Yalamanchili. Deadlock-and livelock-free routing protocols for wave switching. In Int. Parallel Processing Symp., April 1997.
- C. L. Glass and L. M. Ni. The turn model for adaptive routing. In Int. Symp. on Computer Architecture, pages 278–287, 1992.
- P. Kermani and L. Kleinrock. Virtual cut-through: a new computer communication switching technique. Computer Networks, 3:267–286, 1979.
- Annette Lagman. Modelling, Analysis and Evaluation of Adaptive Routing Strategies. PhD thesis, Colorado State University, Computer Science Department, November 1994.
- L. M. Ni and P. K. McKinley. A survey of wormhole routing techniques in direct networks. IEEE Computer, pages 62–76, 1993.
- Preliminary Evaluation of a Hybrid Deterministic/Adaptive Router
- Book Title
- Parallel Computer Routing and Communication
- Book Subtitle
- Second International Workshop, PCRCW’97 Atlanta, Georgia, USA, June 26–27, 1997 Proceedings
- Book Part
- Session II
- pp 89-102
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Electrical and Computer Science
- 5. Facultad de Informàtica, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Department of Computer Science, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO, 80523, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.