Generating lookup tables using evolutionary algorithms
- Tim Hendtlass
- … show all 1 hide
This paper describes the use of an evolutionary algorithm to develop lookup tables which consist of an ordered list of regions, each of which encloses training examples of only one category. Compared to a simpler type of lookup table which consists of an unordered list of the training points and their categories, region based tables are smaller and, in general, faster to use. The development of a region based lookup table for the Frey and Slate character recognition problem is described and the size and accuracy achieved are compared with the original Frey and Slate point based lookup table. The reasons why it outperforms the original lookup table are discussed.
- John R Podlena and Tim Hendtlass: Using a combination of Genetic Algorithm and Hill Climbing Techniques for the solution of a difficult letter recognition problem. Proc. Of the Eighth IEA/AEI International Conference, 1995 (55–60)
- Carlos Fonseca and Peter Flemming: An overview of Evolutionary Algorithms in Multiobjective Optimisation. Evolutionary Computing, volume 3, number 1. 1995.(1–16)
- P.W.Frey and D.J.Slate: Letter recognition using Holland Style Adaptive Classifiers. Machine Learning, volume 6 number 2, (1991).
- G Jones: Letter Image Recognition Data www.sgi.conVTechnology/mlc/db/letter.names
- D. Philpot, personal communication.
- Generating lookup tables using evolutionary algorithms
- Book Title
- Methodology and Tools in Knowledge-Based Systems
- Book Subtitle
- 11th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems IEA-98-AIE Benicàssim, Castellón, Spain, June 1–4, 1998 Proceedings, Volume I
- pp 640-646
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Lectures Notes in Artificial Intelligence
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.