Optimal communication performance on fast ethernet with GAMMA
- Giuseppe Ciaccio
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The current prototype of the Genoa Active Message MAchine (GAMMA) is a low-overhead, Active Messages-based inter-process communication layer implemented mainly at kernel level in the Linux Operating System. It runs on a pool of low-cost Pentium-based Personal Computers (PCs) networked by a low-cost 100base-TX Ethernet hub to form a low-cost message-passing parallel platform. In this paper we describe in detail how GAMMA could achieve unprecedented communication performance (less than 13 μs one-way user-to-user latency time and up to 98% of the communication throughput of the raw interconnection hardware) on such a kind of low-cost parallel architecture.
- Connection Machine CM-5 Technical Summary. Technical report, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1992.
- T. Anderson, D. Culler, D. Patterson, and the NOW team. A Case for NOW (Networks of Workstations). IEEE Micro, 15(1), February 1995.
- G. Chiola and G. Ciaccio. GAMMA: a low cost Network of Workstations based on Active Messages. In Proc. Euromicro PDP'97, London, UK, January 1997. IEEE Computer Society.
- G. Chiola and G. Ciaccio. Implementing a Low Cost, Low Latency Parallel Platform. Parallel Computing, (22):1703–1717, 1997.
- L.T. Liu and D.E. Culler. Measurement of Active Message Performance on the CM5. Technical Report CSD-94-807, Computer Science Dept., University of California at Berkeley, May 1994.
- P. Marenzoni, G. Rimassa, M. Vignali, M. Bertozzi, G. Conte, and P. Rossi. An Operating System Support to Low-Overhead Communications in NOW Clusters. In Proc. of the 1st International Workshop on Communication and Architectural Support for Network-Based Parallel Computing (CANPC'97), LNCS 1199, pages 130–143, February 1997.
- R. P. Martin. HPAM: An Active Message layer for a Network of HP Workstations. In Proc. of Hot Interconnect II, August 1994.
- S. Pakin, V. Karamcheti, and A. Chien. Fast Messages (FM): Efficient, Portable Communication for Workstation Clusters and Massively-Parallel Processors. IEEE Concurrency, 1997 (to appear).
- S. Pakin, M. Lauria, and A. Chien. High Performance Messaging on Workstations: Illinois Fast Messages (FM) for Myrinet Computation. In Proc. Supercomputing '95, San Diego, California, 1995. ACM Press.
- S. Rodrigues, T. Anderson, and D. Culler. High-performance Local-area Communication Using Fast Sockets. In Proc. USENIX'97, 1997.
- T. Sterling, D.J. Becker, D. Savarese, J.E. Dorband, U.A. Ranawake, and C.V. Packer. BEOWULF: A Parallel Workstation for Scientific Computation. In Proc. 24th Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, August 1995.
- T. von Eicken, V. Avula, A. Basu, and V. Buch. Low-latency Communication Over ATM Networks Using Active Messages. IEEE Micro, 15(1):46–64, February 1995.
- T. von Eicken, A. Basu, V. Buch, and W. Vogels. U-Net: A User-Level Network Interface for Parallel and Distributed Computing. In Proc. of the 15th ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP'95), Copper Mountain, Colorado, December 1995. ACM Press.
- T. von Eicken, D.E. Culler, S.C. Goldstein, and K.E. Schauser. Active Messages: A Mechanism for Integrated Communication and Computation. In Proc. of the 19th Annual Int'l Symp. on Computer Architecture (ISCA'92), Gold Coast, Australia, May 1992. ACM Press.
- M. Welsh, A. Basu, and T. von Eicken. Low-latency Communication over Fast Ethernet. In Proc. Euro-Par'96, Lyon, France, August 1996.
- Optimal communication performance on fast ethernet with GAMMA
- Book Title
- Parallel and Distributed Processing
- Book Subtitle
- 10 IPPS/SPDP'98 Workshops Held in Conjunction with the 12th International Parallel Processing Symposium and 9th Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing Orlando, Florida, USA, March 30 – April 3, 1998 Proceedings
- pp 534-548
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Active messages
- Fast Ethernet
- Inter-process communication
- Network of workstations
- Parallel processing
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.