Automated camera calibration and 3D egomotion estimation for augmented reality applications
- Dieter KollerAffiliated withFraunhofer Project Group for AR at ZGDVEE Dept., California Inst. of TechnologyAutodesk, Inc.
- , Gudrun KlinkerAffiliated withFraunhofer Project Group for AR at ZGDV
- , Eric RoseAffiliated withFraunhofer Project Group for AR at ZGDV
- , David BreenAffiliated withComputer Graphics Lab., California Inst. of Technology
- , Ross WhitakerAffiliated withEE Dept.
- , Mihran TuceryanAffiliated withDept of Comp & Info Science, IUPUI
This paper addresses the problem of accurately tracking the 3D motion of a monocular camera in a known 3D environment and dynamically estimating the 3D camera location. For that purpose we propose a fully automated landmark-based camera calibration method and initialize a motion estimator, which employes extended Kalman filter techniques to track landmarks and to estimate the camera location at any given time. The implementation of our approach has been proven to be efficient and robust and our system successfully tracks in real-time at approximately 10 Hz. We show tracking results of various augmented reality scenarios.
- Automated camera calibration and 3D egomotion estimation for augmented reality applications
- Book Title
- Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Conference, CAIP '97 Kiel, Germany, September 10–12, 1997 Proceedings
- pp 199-206
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Fraunhofer Project Group for AR at ZGDV, Arabellastr.17 (at ECRC), 81925, Munich, Germany
- 2. EE Dept., California Inst. of Technology, MC 136-93, 91125, Pasadena, CA
- 3. Autodesk, Inc., 2465 Latham St., Suite 101, 94040, Mountain View, CA
- 4. Computer Graphics Lab., California Inst. of Technology, MC 348-74, 91125, Pasadena, CA
- 5. EE Dept., 330 Ferris Hall, 37996-2100, Knoxville, TN
- 6. Dept of Comp & Info Science, IUPUI, 723 W. Michigan St, 46202-5132, Indianapolis, IN
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.