Efficient detection of vacuity in ACTL formulas
Prepositional logic formulas containing implications can suffer from antecedent failure, in which the formula is true trivially because the pre-condition of the implication is not satisfiable. In other words, the post-condition of the implication does not affect the truth value of the formula. We call this a vacuous pass, and extend the definition of vacuity to cover other kinds of trivial passes in temporal logic. We define w-ACTL, a subset of CTL and show by construction that for every w-ACTL formula ϕ there is a formula w(ϕ), such that: both ϕ and w(ϕ) are true in some model M iff ϕ passes vacuously. A useful side-effect of w(ϕ) is that if false, any counter-example is also a non-trivial witness of the original formula ϕ.
- D. Beatty and R. Bryant, “Formally verifying a microprocessor using a simulation methodology”, Design Automation Conference '94, pp. 596–602.
- I. Beer, S. Ben-David, C. Eisner, A. Landver, “RuleBase: an Industry-Oriented Formal Verification Tool”, in Proc. 33 rd Design Automation Conference 1996, pp. 655–660.
- E.M. Clarke and E.A. Emerson, “Design and synthesis of synchronization skeletons using Branching Time Temporal Logic”, in Proc. Workshop on Logics of Programs, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 131 (Springer, Berlin, 1981) pp. 52–71.
- E.M. Clark and E.A. Emerson, “Characterizing Properties of Parallel Programs as Fixed-point”, in Seventh International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming, Volume 85 of LNCS, 1981.
- E. Clarke, O. Grumberg, K. McMillan, X. Zhao, “Efficient Generation of Counterexamples and Witnesses in Symbolic Model Checking”, Design Automation Conference 1995, pp. 427–432.
- O. Grumberg and D. Long, “Model checking and modular verification.” In J.C.M. Baeten and J.F. Groote, editors, Proccedings of CONCUR '91: 2nd International Conference on Concurrency Theory, Volume 527 of LNCS, 1991.
- R. Hojati, R.K. Brayton and R.P. Kurshan, “BDD-based debugging of designs using language containment and fair CTL.” CAV '93, pp. 41–58.
- R. Kurshan, “Analysis of Discrete Event Coordination,” LNCS 1990.
- D. Long, “Model Checking, Abstraction and Compositional Verification”, Ph.D. Thesis, CMU, 1993.
- K.L. McMillan, “Symbolic Model Checking”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993.
- B. Plessier and C. Pixley, “Formal Verification of a Commercial Serial Bus Interface”, International Phoenix Conference on Computers and Communications, 1995, pp. 378–382.
- G. Shurek, O. Grumberg, “The Computer-Aided Modular Framework —Motivation, Solutions and Evaluation Criteria”, Workshop on Computer Aided Verification, 1990.
- Efficient detection of vacuity in ACTL formulas
- Book Title
- Computer Aided Verification
- Book Subtitle
- 9th International Conference, CAV'97 Haifa, Israel, June 22–25, 1997 Proceedings
- pp 279-290
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.