Specifying multimedia binding objects in Z
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The current standardisation activity of Open Distributed Processing (ODP) has attempted to incorporate multimedia flows of information into its architecture through the idea of stream interfaces. At present the reference model of ODP (ODP-RM) abstracts from the precise nature of the flows of information. As a consequence of this, the ODP-RM only deals with syntactic aspects of stream interfaces and does not require them to satisfy any behavioural considerations. It is shown in this paper how the formal notation Z can be used to reason about these flows of information in a manner that enables behavioural as well as temporal aspects to be considered. The example given to highlight the approach is the ODP concept of a binding object.
- A. Coombes. An interval logic for modelling time in Z. Technical report, Department of Computing Science, University of York, 1990.
- N. Delisle and D. Garlan. Formally specifying electronic instruments. ACM SIGSOFT Eng. Notes, 14:242–248, 1989.
- ISO/IEC. Information Processing Systems — Open Systems Interconnection — Estelle — A Formal Description Technique Based on an Extended State Transition Model. ISO/IEC 9074. International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989.
- ISO/IEC. Information Processing Systems — Open Systems Interconnection — LOTOS — A Formal Description Technique Based on the Temporal Ordering of Observational Behaviour. ISO/IEC 8807. International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989.
- ISO/IEC. Basic Reference Model of ODP — Part 1: Overview and Guide to Use of the Reference Model. Draft International Standard 10746-1, Draft ITU-T Recommendation X.901. ISO/IEC ITU-T, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- ISO/IEC. Basic Reference Model of ODP — Part 2: Foundations. International Standard 10746-2, ITU-T X.902. ISO/IEC ITU-T, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- ISO/IEC. Basic Reference Model of ODP — Part 3: Architecture. International Standard 10746-3, ITU-T X.903. ISO/IEC ITU-T, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- ISO/IEC. Basic Reference Model of ODP — Part 4: Architectural Semantics. Draft International Standard 10746-4, Draft ITU-T Recommendation X.904. ISO/IEC ITU-T, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- ISO/IEC. Basic Reference Model of ODP — Part 4.1: Architectural Semantics Amendment. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21 Working Document N9818. ISO/IEC ITU-T, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- ISO/IEC. Z Notation version 1.2. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG19 CD 13568. ISO/IEC, Geneva, Switzerland, August 1995.
- ITU-T. International Consultative Committee on Telegraphy and Telephony — SDL — Specification and Description Language. CCITT Z.100. International Telecommunications Union, Geneva, Switzerland, 1992.
- P. King. A formal specification of signalling system number 7 link layer. Technical Report TR-101, University of Queensland, Key Centre for Software Technology, 1989.
- R.O. Sinnott and K.J. Turner. Specifying ODP Computational Objects in Z. In Elie Najm and Jean-Bernard Stefani, editors, Proceedings of Formal Methods for Open Object-based Distributed Systems, Paris, France, March 1996.
- K. J. Turner. Relating architecture and specification. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 1996. Accepted for publication in Special Edition on Specification Architecture.
- Specifying multimedia binding objects in Z
- Book Title
- Trends in Distributed Systems CORBA and Beyond
- Book Subtitle
- International Workshop TreDS '96 Aachen, Germany, October 1–2, 1996 Proceedings
- pp 244-257
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Open Distributed Processing (ODP)
- Architectural Semantics
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.