Horizontal fragmentation in distributed object database systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Object-Oriented Database Management Systems (OODBMS) are becoming popular and are being used in a large number of application domains, many of which are inherently distributed. Optimal application performance of a distributed object-oriented database system requires class fragmentation and the development of allocation schemes to place fragments at distributed sites in order to minimize data transfer. Our approach is top-down, and the entity of fragmentation is the class. Fragmentation algorithms have been proposed for the relational model, but the object model is relatively untouched. In this paper, we present an algorithm for horizontal fragmentation in a model consisting of complex attributes and simple methods. This type of fragmentation facilitates query decomposition, optimization, and parallel treatment for distributed OODBMS.
- K. Karlapalem, S.B. Navathe, and M. M. A. Morsi, Issues in Distributed Design of Object-Oriented Databases, in Distributed Object Management Edited by M. T. Ozsu, U. Dayal, P. Valduriez, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 1994.
- S.B. Navathe, M. Ra, R. Varadarajan, K. Karlapalem, and K. Sreewastav, A Mixed Partitioning Methodology for Initial Distributed Database Design, In Journal of Computer and Software Engineering, forthcoming Volume 3, Number 4, 1995.
- M. T. Ozsu and P. Valduriez, Principles of Distributed Database Systems, Prentice Hall, 1991.
- Horizontal fragmentation in distributed object database systems
- Book Title
- Parallel Computation
- Book Subtitle
- Third International ACPC Conference with Special Emphasis on Parallel Databases and Parallel I/O Klagenfurt, Austria, September 23–25, 1996 Proceedings
- pp 223-226
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.