A meme media architecture for fine-grain component software
- Yuzuru Tanaka
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Computers as meta media are now evolving from augmentation media vehicles to meme media vehicles. While an augmentation media system provides individuals, groups or organizations with a seamlessly integrated environment of various tools and documents, meme media system provides communities or societies with further functions to edit, to distribute, and to share tools and documents. Meme media work as memes, i.e., cultural genes. Documents and tools on meme media can easily replicate themselves, recombine themselves, and are naturally selected by their environment, namely the society of their authors and users. Their accumulation in their users' community will form a meme pool, which will bring rapid evolution of documents and tools. The IntelligentPad architecture provides a standard framework called a pad that works as a meme medium for documents and software components. Its pad distribution system architecture using Netscape as their catalog works as a meme pool. Meme media promises to help the application developers by the use of patterns and frameworks for varieties of typical applications. A pattern in meme media means a common composition structure and hence a common editing structure of meme media shared by the composite tools for the same typical application. A framework in meme media means a set of meme media components and the composition rules that are typically used in the development of a specific kind of applications. Patterns and frameworks allow users to develop their applications just by editing these patterns or by playing with these frameworks.
- Alexander, C., A Pattern Language, Oxford Univ. Press, 1977.
- Andreessen, M., ‘NCSA Mosaic Technical Summary,’ NCSA Mosaic Technical Summary 2.1, May, 1993.
- Berners-Lee, T., Cailliau, R., Pellow, N., and Secret, A., ‘The World-Wide Web Initiative,’ Proc. INET'93, 1993.
- Coad, P., North, D., and Mayfield, M., Object-Models: Strategies, Patterns, and Applications, Prentice-Hall, 1995.
- Dawkins, R., The Selfish Gene, Oxford Univ. Press, 1976.
- Gamma, E., Helm, R., Johnson, R., and Vissides, J., Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, Addison Wesley, 1995.
- Johstone, B., ‘DIY Software,’ NewScientist, 26–31, 19 August, 1995.
- Pree, W., Design Patterns for Object-Oriented Software Development, Addison Wesley, 1995.
- Stefik, M., ‘The Next Knowledge Medium,’ The AI Magazine, 7 (1), 34–46, 1986.
- Tanaka, Y. and Imataki, T., ‘IntelligentPad: A Hypermedia System Allowing Functional Composition of Active Media Objects through Direct Manipulations,’ Proc. of IFIP '89, San Francisco, 541–546, Aug. 1989.
- Tanaka, Y., ‘A Toolkit System for the Synthesis and the Management of Active Media Objects,’ Proc. of Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, Kyoto, 76–94, Dec., 1989.
- Tanaka Y., ‘A Synthetic Dynamic-Media System,’ Proc. of Int'l Conf. on Multimedia Information Systems, Singapore, 299–310, 1991.
- Tanaka Y., A. Nagasaki, M. Akaishi, and T. Noguchi, 'synthetic Media Architecture for an Object-Oriented Open Platform,’ Personal Computers and Intelligent Systems, Information Processing 92, Vol III, (ed. F. H. Vogt), North Holland, 104–110, 1992
- Tanaka Y., ‘From Augmentation Media to Meme Media: IntelligentPad and the World-Wide Repository of Pads,’ in Information Modelling and Knowledge Bases VI (Ed. by H. Kangassalo et al.), IOS Press, 91–107, 1995.
- A meme media architecture for fine-grain component software
- Book Title
- Object Technologies for Advanced Software
- Book Subtitle
- Second JSSST International Symposium, ISOTAS '96 Kanazawa, Japan, March 11–15, 1996 Proceedings
- pp 190-214
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.