A miss history-based architecture for cache prefetching
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper describes a hardware controlled cache prefetching technique which uses the past behavior of misses to prefetch. We present a low cost prefetch-on-miss architecture for implementing the prefetcher. Its requirements are (1) less than 6.25% increase in the main memory size, and (2) a bidirectional address bus. We evaluate the performance of our prefetcher using trace driven simulations of ATUM and SPEC benchmark suits. For a 4-way set associative 32KB cache, with at most one prefetch on a miss, we obtain miss ratio improvements over a non-prefetching scheme in the range of 23 to 37%. This improvement is obtained at the cost of increasing the bus traffic up to 39% above the non-prefetching scheme. In comparison to the sequential method, the miss ratio improves up to 14% and the bus traffic reduces up to 17%. Similar improvements over the sequential technique are obtained for larger caches and direct mapped caches.
- T.F. Chen and J.L. Baer. Reducing memory latency via non-blocking and prefetching caches. ASPLOS-V, October 1992.
- Tien-Fu Chen. Data Prefetching for High-Performance Processors. PhD thesis, University of Washington Department of Computer Science and Engineering, July 1993.
- Edward G. Coffman and Peter J. Denning. Operating Systems Theory. Prentice-Hall, 1973.
- K.M. Curewitz, P. Krishnan, and J.S. Vitter. Practical prefetching via data compression. In Proceedings of 1993 ACM SIGMOD, June 1993.
- J.K. Flanagan, B. Nelson, J. Archibald, and K. Grimsrud. BACH: BYU address collection hardware; the collection of complete traces. In International Workshop on Modeling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, September 1992.
- J.W.C. Fu and J.H. Patel. Data prefetching in multiprocessor vector cache memories. In Proceedings of the 18th Annual Symposium on Computer Architecture, pages 54–63, 1991.
- J.W.C. Fu and J.H. Patel. Stride directed prefetching in scalar processors. In Proceedings of the 25th International Symposium on Microarchitecture, pages 102–110, 1992.
- James Griffioen and Randy Appleton. Reducing file system latency using a predictive approach. In Proceedings of the Summer 1994 USENIX Conference, June 1994.
- I.J. Haikala. ARMA model of program behaviour. In Proceedings of Performance '86 and ACM SIGMETRICS 1986 Joint Conference on Computer Performance Modeling, Measurement and Evaluation, pages 170–179, May 1986.
- J.L. Hennessy and N.P. Jouppi. Computer technology and architecture: An evolving interaction. IEEE Computer, 24, 1991.
- John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson. Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach. Morgan Kaufman, 1990.
- N.P. Jouppi. Improving direct-mapped cache performance by the addition of a small fully-associative cache and prefetch buffers. In Proceedings of the 17th Annual Symposium on Computer Architecture, pages 364–373, May 1990.
- A.C. Klaiber and H.M. Levy. An architecture for software-controlled data prefetching. In Proceedings of the 18th Annual Symposium on Computer Architecture, pages 43–53, 1991.
- T.C. Mowry, M.S. Lam, and Anoop Gupta. Design and evaluation of a compiler algorithm for prefetching. ASPLOS-V, October 1992.
- M. Palmer and S. Zdonik. Fido: A cache that learns to fetch. In Proceedings of 1991 International Conference on Very Large Databases, September 1991.
- Vidyadhar Phalke and B. Gopinath. An inter-reference gap model for temporal locality in program behavior. In Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS 1995 Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, May 1995.
- Thomas R. Puzak. Analysis of Cache Replacement Algorithms. PhD thesis, University of Massachusetts Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, February 1985.
- Anne Rogers and Kai Li. Software support for speculative loads. ASPLOS-V, October 1992.
- I. Sklenar. Prefetch unit for vector operations on scalar computers. Computer Architecture News, 20(4), 1992.
- A.J. Smith. Sequential program prefetching in memory hierarchies. IEEE Computer, 12, December 1978.
- Insgik Song and Yookun Cho. Page prefetching based on fault history. In Proceedings of USENIX Mach III Symposium, 1993.
- J.R. Spirn and P.J. Denning. Experiments with program locality. In Proceedings of AFIPS FJCC, volume 1, pages 611–621, 1972.
- Dominique Thiebaut. On the fractal dimension of computer programs and it s application to the prediction of the cache miss ratio. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 38(7), July 1989.
- J.S. Vitter and P. Krishnan. Optimal prefetching via data compression. In Proceedings of the 32nd Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, October 1991.
- A miss history-based architecture for cache prefetching
- Book Title
- Memory Management
- Book Subtitle
- International Workshop IWMM 95 Kinross, UK, September 27–29, 1995 Proceedings
- pp 381-398
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.