On termination of constraint logic programs
This paper introduces a necessary and sufficient condition for termination of constraint logic programs. The method is based on assigning a dataflow graph to a program, whose nodes are the program points and whose arcs are abstractions of the rules of a transition system, describing the operational behaviour of constraint logic programs. Then termination is proven using a technique inspired by the seminal approach of Floyd for proving termination of flowchart programs.
- K.R. Apt and R. Bol. Logic programming and negation: a survey. JLP 19, 20: 9–72, 1994.
- K.R. Apt, E. Marchiori, and C. Palamidessi. A declarative approach for first-order built-in's of Prolog. Applicable Algebra in Engineering, Communication and Computation, 5(3/4), pp. 159–191, 1994.
- A. Bossi and N. Cocco. Verifying correctness of logic programs. TAPSOFT, LNCS 352, pp. 96–110, 1989.
- A. Bossi, N. Cocco and M. Fabris. Norms on terms and their use in proving universal termination of a logic program. TCS 124: 297–328, 1994. CrossRef
- L. Colussi, E. Marchiori and M. Marchiori. A dataflow semantics for constraint logic programs. In Proceedings of PLILP'95, to appear, 1995.
- W. Drabent and J. Maluszyński. Inductive assertion method for logic programs. TCS, 59(1):133–155, 1988. CrossRef
- D. De Schreye and S. Decorte. Termination of logic programs: the never-ending story. JLP 19, 20: 199–260, 1994.
- R.W. Floyd. Assigning meanings to programs. In J.T. Schwartz, editor, Proceedings Symposium in Applied Mathematics, volume 19 of Math. Aspects in Computer Science, pages 19–32. AMS, 1967.
- J. Jaffar and M.J. Maher. Constraint Logic Programming: A Survey. JLP 19, 20: 503–581, 1994.
- Z. Manna. Termination of Programs Represented as Interpreted Graphs. Proc. Spring. J. Comp. Conf., pp. 83–89, 1970.
- F. Mesnard. Etude de la terminaison des programmes logiques avec constraintes aux moyens d'approximations. PhD Thesis, Paris VI, 1993.
- B. Wang and R.K. Shyamasundar. A methodology for proving termination of logic programs. JLP 21(1): 1–30, 1994.
- On termination of constraint logic programs
- Book Title
- Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming — CP '95
- Book Subtitle
- First International Conference, CP '95 Cassis, France, September 19–22, 1995 Proceedings
- pp 431-448
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.