Process improvement in the classroom
Software Quality Assurance and Process Improvement are subjects that are difficult to teach in a software engineering course. Students rarely gain an in-depth understanding of the concepts and ideas inherent in process assessment, let alone practical experience with improving software processes. This paper describes a process assessment and improvement experiment performed by the Real World Lab, an undergraduate Software Engineering Practicum course series at Georgia Tech. We used (he SEI's Capability Maturity Model (CMM) as an assessment vehicle for the RWL processes, in order to evaluate not only the software process used in the RWL, but also the educational strengths of our simulated “real world” industry environment.
- Crummer, Arthur, and Rangarajan, Jayashree. Building Effective Engineering Teams, Introductory Exercises, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, October 11, 1993.
- Denning, Peter J. “Educating a New Engineer”, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 35, No. 12, December 1992.
- McCracken, W. Michael, and Rugaber, Spencer. A White Paper on the Establishment of the Software Sweat Shop, Software Engineering Research Center Technical Report, College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1989.
- Moore, Melody and Potts, Colin, “Learning By Doing: Goals and Experiences of Two Software Engineering Project Courses”, Proceedings of the Seventh Software Engineering Institute Conference on Software Engineering Education, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, January 1994.
- Mynatt, Beth, and Tiemens, Tim. Software Sweat Shop Summary Report, Software Engineering Research Center Technical Report, College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, June 1989.
- Paulk, Mark, Curtis, Bill, Chrissis, Mary Beth, et al. Capability Maturity Model for Software, CMU/SEI-91-TR-24, August 1991.
- Shaw, M., and Tomayko, J.E., Models for Undergraduate Project Courses in Software Engineering, Software Engineering Institute Tech Report, number CMU/SEI-91-TR-10, 1991.
- Process improvement in the classroom
- Book Title
- Software Engineering Education
- Book Subtitle
- 8th SEI CSEE Conference New Orleans, LA, USA, March 29–April 1, 1995 Proceedings
- pp 121-130
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.