A simple and unified method for drawing graphs: Magnetic-spring algorithm
A simple and unified heuristic method for nicely drawing directed, undirected and mixed graphs is proposed basing upon a new model called magnetic-spring model which is an extension of Eades's spring model. In the new model, the idea of controlling edge orientations by magnetic forces is employed. Since the method is conceptually intuitive, it is quite easy to understand, implement, tune and improve it. Examples of layouts and results of experiments are shown to demonstrate extensive possibilities of the method.
- Quinn, N., Breur, M. (1979) A force directed component placement procedure for printed circuit boards. IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems CAS-26: pp. 377-388
- Eades, P. (1984) A heuristic for graph drawing. Congressus Numerantium 42: pp. 149-160
- T. Kamada: On visualization of abstract objects and relations, Dr. S. thesis, Univ. of Tokyo, (1988).
- Fruchterman, T., Reingold, E. (1991) Graph drawing by force-directed placement. Software — Practice and Experience 21: pp. 1129-1164
- M. J. Bickerton: A practitioner's handbook of requirement engineering methods and tools, Oxford Univ., (1992).
- K. Sugiyama and K. Misue: Graph Drawing by Magnetic-Spring Model, Res. Rep. ISIS-RR-94-14E, Inst. Social Information Science, Fujitsu Labs. Ltd., 32p., (1994).
- P. Eades: Drawing free trees, Res. Rep. IIAS-RR-91-17E, Intern. Inst. for Advanced Study of Social Information Science, Fujitsu Lab. Ltd., 29p., (1991).
- Creszenzi, P., Battista, G., Piperno, A. (1992) A note on optimal area algorithms for upward drawings of binary trees. J. Computational Geometry 2: pp. 187-200
- Reggiani, M. G., Marchetti, F. E. (1988) A proposed method for representing hierarchies. IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-18: pp. 2-8
- A simple and unified method for drawing graphs: Magnetic-spring algorithm
- Book Title
- Graph Drawing
- Book Subtitle
- DIMACS International Workshop, GD '94 Princeton, New Jersey, USA, October 10–12, 1994 Proceedings
- pp 364-375
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.