Time abstracted bisimulation: Implicit specifications and decidability
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the last few years a number of real-time process calculi have emerged with the purpose of capturing important quantitative aspects of real-time systems. In addition, a number of process equivalences sensitive to time-quantities have been proposed, among these the notion of timed (bisimulation) equivalence in [RR86, DS89, HR91, BB89, NRSV90, MT90, Wan91b].
In this paper, we introduce a time-abstracting (bisimulation) equivalence, and investigate its properties with respect to the real-time process calculus of [Wan90]. Seemingly, such an equivalence would yield very little information (if any) about the timing properties of a process. However, time-abstracted reasoning about a composite process may yield important information about the relative timing-properties of the components of the system. In fact, we show as a main theorem that such implicit reasoning will reveal all timing aspects of a process. More precisely, we prove that two processes are interchangeable in any context up to time-abstracted equivalence precisely if the two processes are themselves timed equivalent.
As our second main theorem, we prove that time-abstracted equivalence is decidable for the calculus of [Wan90] using classical methods based on a finite-state symbolic, structured operational semantics.
- Rajeev Alur, Costas Courcoubetis, and David Dill. Model-checking for real-time systems. In Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, 1990.
- R. Alur, C Courcoubetis, N. Halbwachs, D. Dill, H. Wong-Toi. Minimization of Timed Transition Systems. CONCUR92, LNCS 630, 1992.
- Rajeev Alur and David Dill. Automata for modelling real-time systems. In Automata, Languages and Programming: Proceedings of the 17th ICALP, LNCS 443. Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- J.C.M. Baeten and J.A. Bergstra, Real time process algebra. Technical Report P8916, University of Amsterdam, 1989.
- K. Cerans, J.C. Godskesen, K.G. Larsen. JANUS: a tool for analyzing real-time processes, Aalborg University, (in preparation), 1992.
- Liang Chen. An interleaving model for real-time systems. Technical report, LFCS, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 1991. Preliminary version.
- R. Cleaveland, J. Parrow, and B. Steffen. The concurrency workbench. Technical report, LFCS, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 1989.
- Jim Davis and Steve Schneider. An introduction to timed CSP. Technical Report PRG-75, Oxford University Computing Laboratory, 1989.
- W.J. Fokkink and S. Klusener. Real time algebra with prefixed integration. Technical report, CWI, Amsterdam, 1991.
- Jens Chr. Godskesen and Kim G. Larsen. Real-time calculi and expansion theorems. In Twelfth Conference on the FST and TCS, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, December 1992. To appear.
- Uno Holmer, Kim Larsen, and Yi Wang. Deciding properties of regular timed processes. In the proceedings of CAV91, volume 575 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1991.
- T. Henzinger, X. Nicollin, J. Sifakis, and J. Voiron. Symbolic Model Checking for Real-Time Systems. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, 1992.
- C.A.R. Hoare. Communicating Sequential Processes. Prentice-Hall, 1985.
- Matthew Hennessy and Tim Regan. A process algebra for timed systems. Technical Report 5/91, University of Sussex, 1991.
- Allan Jeffrey. A linear time process algebra. In the proceedings of CAV91, volume 575 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, July 1991.
- K.G. Larsen J.C. Godskesen and M. Zeeberg. Tav — tools for automatic verification — users manual. Technical Report R 89-19, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Aalborg University, 1989. Presented at workshop on Automatic Methods for Finite State Systems, Grenoble, France, Juni 1989.
- P.C. Kanellakis and S.A. Smolka, CCS Expressions, finite state processes, and three problems of equivalence. Information and Control Vol 86, 1990.
- Kim G. Larsen. Efficient Local Correctness Checking In Proceedings of CAV92, Montreal, Canada.
- Kim G. Larsen and Wang Yi. Time Abstracted Bisimulation: Implicit Specifications and Decidability. Tech Report, Department of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden, 1993.
- Robin Milner. Communication and Concurrency. Series in Computer Science. Prentice-Hall International, 1989.
- Faron Moller and Chris Tofts. A temporal calculus of communicating systems. In CONCUR'90, volume 458 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- Thomas A. Henzinger, X. Nicollin, Joseph Sifakis, and Sergio Yovine. Symbolic Model Checking for Real-Time Systems IEEE Proc. 7th Sym. Logic in Computer Science, California, June, 1992.
- X. Nicollin, J.-L. Richier, Joseph Sifakis, and J. Voiron. ATP: an algebra for timed processes. In Proceedings of the IFIP TC 2 Working Conference on Programming Concepts and Methods, Sea of Gallilee, Israel, April 1990.
- Xavier Nicollin, Joseph Sifakis, and Sergio Yovine. From ATP to timed graphs and hybrid systems. In Real-Time: Theory in Practice, volume 600 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1991.
- Rajeev Alur and T. Henzinger. Logics and Models of Real Time: a Survey. REX Workshop on Real Time: Theory and Practice, 1991.
- G.M. Reed and A.W. Roscoe, A Timed Model for Communicating Sequential Processes. LNCS No. 226, 1986.
- Paige and Tarjan. Three partition refinement algorithms. SIAM Journal of Computing, 16(6), 1987.
- Steve Schneider. An operational semantics for timed CSP. April 1991.
- Kārlis Čerāns. Decidability of bisimulation equivalences for processes with parallel timers. To appear in Proceedings of CAV'92, 1992.
- R. De Simone and D. Vergamini. Aboard AUTO. Technical Report 111, INRIA, Sofia-Antipolis, 1989.
- Yi Wang. Real-time behaviour of asynchronous agents. In CONCUR '90, volume 458 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- Yi Wang. A Calculus of Real Time Systems. PhD thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, 1991.
- Yi Wang. CCS + time = an interleaving model for real time systems. In ICALP91, LNCS 510. Springer-Verlag, 1991.
- Time abstracted bisimulation: Implicit specifications and decidability
- Book Title
- Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics
- Book Subtitle
- 9th International Conference New Orleans, LA, USA, April 7–10, 1993 Proceedings
- pp 160-176
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Institute for Electronic Systems, Aalborg University, DK9220, Aalborg, Denmark
- 2. Department of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Box 325, S751 05, Uppsala, Sweden
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.