Averaging over decision stumps
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, we examine a minimum encoding approach to the inference of decision stumps. We then examine averaging over decision stumps as a method of generating probability estimates at the leaves of decision trees.
- L. Allison, C.S. Wallace, and C.N. Yee. Finite-state models in the alignment of macromolecules. Journal of Molecular Evolution, 35:77–89, 1992. CrossRef
- L.R. Bahl, P.F. Brown, P.V. deSouza, and R.L. Mercer. A tree-based statistical language model for natural language speech recognition. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 37:1001–1008, 1989.
- L. Breiman, J.H. Friedman, R.A. Olshen, and C.J. Stone. Classification and Regression Trees. Wadsworth, Belmont, 1984.
- W.L. Buntine. A Theory of Learning Classification Rules. PhD thesis, School of Computing Science in the University of Technology, Sydney, February 1990.
- W.L. Buntine. Learning classification trees. Statistics and Computing, 2:63–73, 1992.
- W.L. Buntine and T. Niblett. A further comparison of splitting rules for decision-tree induction. Machine Learning, 8:75–85, 1992.
- P. Cheeseman. In defense of probability. In Proceedings of IJCAI-85, pages 1002–1009, 1985.
- L.A. Clark and D. Pregibon. Tree-based models. In J.M. Chambers and T.J. Hastie, editors, Statistical Models in S, pages 377–420. Wadsworth and Brooks, California, 1992.
- M.P. Georgeff and C.S. Wallace. A general criterion for inductive inference. In Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pages 473–482, 1984.
- T. Hastie and D. Pregibon. Shrinking trees. Technical report, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey 07974, USA, 1990.
- R.C. Holte. Very simple classification rules perform well on most commonly used datasets. Machine Learning, 11:63–91, 1993.
- W.F. Iba and P. Langley. Induction of one-level decision trees. In Machine Learning: Proceedings of the Ninth International Workshop, pages 233–240, 1992.
- S.W. Kwok and C. Carter. Multiple decision trees. In R.D. Schachter, T.S. Levitt, L.N. Kanal, and J.F. Lemmer, editors, Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence 4, pages 327–335. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, 1990.
- P. Langley, W.F. Iba, and K. Thompson. An analysis of bayesian classifiers. In Proceedings of AAAI-92, pages 223–228, 1992.
- J.R. Quinlan. Induction of decision trees. Machine Learning, 1:81–106, 1986.
- J.R. Quinlan. Learning with continuous classes. In A. Adams and L. Sterling, editors, Proceedings of the 5th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pages 343–348. World Scientific, Singapore, 1992.
- J.R. Quinlan and R.L. Rivest. Inferring decision trees using the minimum description length principle. Information and Computation, 80:227–248, 1989. CrossRef
- J. Rissanen. A universal prior for integers and estimation by minimum description length. Annals of Statistics, 11:416–431, 1983.
- J. Rissanen. Stochastic complexity. Royal Statistical Society Journal, 49:223–239, 1987.
- J. Rissanen. Stochastic Complexity in Statistical Inquiry. World Scientific, Singapore, 1989.
- J. Schlimmer and R. Granger. Incremental learning from noisy data. Machine Learning, 1:317–354, 1986.
- C.S. Wallace and D.M. Boulton. An information measure for classification. Computer Journal, 11:185–194, 1968.
- C.S. Wallace and P.R. Freeman. Estimation and inference by compact coding. Royal Statistical Society Journal, 49:240–252, 1987.
- C.S. Wallace and J.D. Patrick. Coding decision trees. Machine Learning, 11:7–22, 1993.
- S.M. Weiss and I. Kapouleas. An empirical comparison of pattern recognition, neural nets, and machine learning classification methods. In Proceedings of IJCAI-89, pages 781–787, 1989.
- Averaging over decision stumps
- Book Title
- Machine Learning: ECML-94
- Book Subtitle
- European Conference on Machine Learning Catania, Italy, April 6–8, 1994 Proceedings
- pp 231-241
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.