A new type theory for representing logics
- Philippa Gardner
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We propose a new type theory for representing logics, called LF+ and based on the Edinburgh Logical Framework. The new framework allows us to give, apparently for the first time, general definitions which capture how well a logic has been represented. Using our definitions, we show that, for example, first-order logic can be wellrepresented in LF+, whereas linear and relevant logics cannot. These syntactic definitions of representation have a simple formulation as indexed isomorphisms, which both confirms that our approach is a natural one, and provides a link between type-theoretic and categorical approaches to frameworks.
- L. Augustsson, T. Coquand and B. Nordström. A Short Description of Another Logical Framework, 1st Workshop on Logical Frameworks, ed.s Huet and Plotkin, pp 39–42, 1990.
- A. Avron, F. Honsell, I.A. Mason and R. Pollack. Using Typed Lambda Calculus to Implement Formal Systems on a Machine, Automated Reasoning, Vol. 9, pp 309–354, 1992. CrossRef
- A. Avron. Simple Consequence Relations, Information and Computation, Vol. 1, pp 105–139, 1991. CrossRef
- H. Barendregt. Lambda Calculi with Types, Handbook of Logic in Computer Science, OUP, Vol. 2, pp 117–309, 1991.
- J. Bénabou. Fibred Categories and the Foundations of Naive Category Theory, Symbolic Logic, Vol. 50, pp 10–37, 1985.
- N.G. de Bruijn. A Survey of the Project Automath, in , pp 589–606, 1980.
- A. Church. A formulation of the simple theory of types, Symbolic Logic, Vol. 5, pp 56–68, 1940.
- R.L. Constable et al. Implementing Mathematics with the NuPrl Proof Development System, Prentice-Hall, 1986.
- T. Coquand and G. Huet. The Calculus of Constructions, Information and Computation, Vol. 76, pp 95–120, 1988. CrossRef
- H.B. Curry and R. Feys. Combinatory Logic, North Holland, 1958.
- G. Dowek and G. Huet. On the Definition of the η-long normal form in Type Systems of the Cube, submitted for publication.
- J.M. Dunn. Relevant Logic and Entailment, Handbook of Philosophical Logic, eds. D. Gabbay and F. Guenthner, Vol. 3, pp 117–224, 1984.
- P.A. Gardner. Representing Logics in Type Theory, Ph.D. Thesis, Edinburgh University, 1992.
- P.A. Gardner. Equivalences between Logics and their Representing Type Theories, full paper, submitted for publication.
- J.H. Geuvers. The Church-Rosser property for βη-reduction in typed lambda calculus, Logic in Computer Science, pp 453–460, 1992.
- J.Y. Girard. Linear Logic, Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. 50, pp 1–102, 1987. CrossRef
- M.J.C. Gordon. HOL: A Proof Generating System for Higher-Order Logic. VSLI Specification, Verification and Syntiesis, ed.s Birtwistle and Subrahmanyam, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp 73–128, 1987.
- R. Harper, F. Honsell and G. Plotkin. A Framework for Defining Logics, Association for Computing Machinery, Vol. 40, Part 1, pp 143–184, 1992. Preliminary version in Logic in Computer Science, pp 194–204, 1987.
- R. Harper, D. Sannella and A. Tarlecki. Structure and Representation in LF. Technical Report ECS-LFCS-89-75, Edinburgh University, 1989. Abridged version in Logic in Computer Science, pp 226–237, 1989.
- W.A. Howard. The Formulae-as-types Notion of Construction, in , pp 479–490, 1980.
- F.W. Lawvere. Equality in Hyperdoctrines and Comprehension Schema as an Adjoint Functor, Applications of Categorical Algebra, American Mathematical Society, pp 1–14, 1970.
- Z. Luo and R. Pollack. LEGO Proof Development System: User's Manual, Technical Report ECS-LFCS-92-211, Edinburgh University, 1992.
- P. Martin-Löf. On the Meanings of the Logical Constants and the Justifications of the Logical Laws, Technical Report 2, Università di Siena, 1985.
- D. Miller and G. Nadathur. Higher-order Logic Programming, LNCS 225: 3rd International Logic Programming Conference Springer, ed. Shapiro, pp 448–462, 1986.
- D. Miller, G. Plotkin and D. Pym A Relevant Analysis of Natural Deduction, in preparation.
- R. Paré and D. Schumacher. Abstract Families and the Adjoint Functor Theorems, Indexed Categories and their Applications, ed.s Johnstone and Paré, pp 1–125, 1978.
- L. Paulson. The Foundations of a Generic Theorem Prover, Automatic Reasoning, Vol. 5, pp 363–397, 1987. CrossRef
- D. Prawitz. Natural Deduction: A Proof-theoretical study. Almquist and Wiksell, Stockholm, 1965.
- A Unification Algorithm for the λΠ-calculus, Foundations of Computer Science, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp 333–378, 1992.
- A. Salvesen. The Church-Rosser Property for Pure Type Systems with βη reduction, submitted for publication.
- J.P. Seldin and J.R. Hindley, editors. To H.B. Curry: Essays in Combinatory Logic, Lambda Calculus and Formalism, Academic Press, 1980.
- A. Simpson. Kripke Semantics for a Logical Framework, 1992 Workshop on Types for Proofs and Programs, Båstad, 1992.
- A new type theory for representing logics
- Book Title
- Logic Programming and Automated Reasoning
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International Conference, LPAR'93 St. Petersburg, Russia, July 13–20, 1993 Proceedings
- pp 146-157
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.