Computing accumulated delays in real-time systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We present a verification algorithm for duration properties of finite-state real-time systems. While simple real-time properties constrain the total elapsed time between events, duration properties constrain the accumulated time during which certain state predicates hold. We formalize the concept of durations by introducing duration measures for (dense-time) timed automata. Given a timed automaton with a duration measure, a start and a target state, and a duration constraint, the duration-bounded reachability problem asks if there is a run of the automaton from the start state to the target state such that the accumulated duration along the run satisfies the constraint. Our main result is a novel decision procedure for solving the duration-bounded reachability problem. We also prove that the problem is PSPACE-complete and demonstrate how the solution can be used to verify interesting duration properties of real-time systems.
- R. Alur, C. Courcoubetis, and D.L. Dill. Model-checking for real-time systems. In Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pages 414–425, 1990.
- R. Alur, C. Courcoubetis, T.A. Henzinger, and P. Ho. Hybrid automata: An algorithmic approach to the specification and verification of hybrid systems. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Theory of Hybrid Systems, 1992. To appear.
- R. Alur and D.L. Dill. Automata for modeling real-time systems. In Automata, Languages and Programming: Proceedings of the 17th ICALP, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 443, pages 322–335. Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- R. Alur, T. Feder, and T.A. Henzinger. The benefits of relaxing punctuality. In Proceedings of the Tenth ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pages 139–152, 1991.
- E.M. Clarke, E.A. Emerson, and A.P. Sistla. Automatic verification of finite-state concurrent systems using temporal-logic specifications. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 8(2):244–263, 1986.
- Z. Chaochen, C.A.R. Hoare, and A.P. Ravn. A calculus of durations. Information Processing Letters, 40:269–276, 1991.
- C. Courcoubetis and M. Yannakakis. Minimum and maximum delay problems in real-time systems. In Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Computer-Aided Verification, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 575, pages 399–409, 1991.
- D.L. Dill. Timing assumptions and verification of finite-state concurrent systems. In J. Sifakis, editor, Automatic Verification Methods for Finite State Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 407, pages 197–212. Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- E.A. Emerson, A.K. Mok, A.P. Sistla, and J. Srinivasan. Quantitative temporal reasoning. In E.M. Clarke and R.P. Kurshan, editors, Computer-Aided Verification, 2nd International Conference, CAV'90, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 531, pages 136–145, 1990.
- T.A. Henzinger, X. Nicollin, J. Sifakis, and S. Yovine. Symbolic model-checking for real-time systems. In Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pages 394–406, 1992.
- Y. Kesten, A. Pnueli, J. Sifakis, and S. Yovine. Integration graphs: a class of decidable hybrid systems. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Theory of Hybrid Systems, 1992. To appear.
- J.P. Queille and J. Sifakis. Specification and verification of concurrent programs in CESAR. In Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Programming, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 137, pages 195–220, 1982.
- K. Čerāns. Decidability of bisimulation equivalence for parallel timer processes. In Proceedings of the Fourth Workshop on Computer-Aided Verifiction, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1992. To appear.
- Computing accumulated delays in real-time systems
- Book Title
- Computer Aided Verification
- Book Subtitle
- 5th International Conference, CAV '93 Elounda, Greece, June 28–July 1, 1993 Proceedings
- pp 181-193
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.