Query languages with counters
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We investigate the expressive power of query languages with counting ability. We define a LOGSPACE extension of first order logic and a PTIME extension of fixpoint logic with counters. We develop specific techniques, such as games, for dealing with languages with counters and therefore integers. We prove in particular that the arity of the tuples which are counted induces a strict expressivity hierarchy. We also establish results about the asymptotic probabilities of sentences with counters. In particular we show that first order logic with comparison of the cardinalities of relations has a. 0/1 law.
- S. Abiteboul and V. Vianu. Generic computation and its complexity. In Proc. 23rd ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pages 209–219, 1991.
- A. Blass, Y. Gurevich, and D. Kozen. A zero-one law for logic with a fixed-point operator. Information and Control, 67:70–90, 1985.
- J. Cai, M. Furer, and N. Immerman. An optimal lower bound on the number of variables for graph identification. In Proc 30th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 612–617, 1989.
- A. Chandra and D. Harel. Computable queries for relational data bases. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 21(2):156–178, Oct. 1980. CrossRef
- A. Chandra and D. Harel. Structure and complexity of relational queries. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 25(1):99–128, Aug. 1982. CrossRef
- P. Dublish and S. Maheshwari. Expressibility of bounded-arity fixed-point query hierarchies. In Proc. 8th ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pages 324–335, 1989.
- A. Ehrenfeucht. An application of games to the completeness problem for formalized theories. Fundamenta Mathematica, 49:128–141, 1961.
- R. Fagin. Probabilities on finite models. Journal of Symbolic Logic, 41(1):50–58, 1976.
- R. Fraissé. Sur les classifications des systèmes de relations. Publ. Sci. Univ Alger, I:1, 1954.
- H. Gaifman. On local and non local properties. In J. Stern, editor, Proc. Herbrand Symposium, Logic Colloquium, pages 105–135. North Holland, 1981.
- Y. Glebskii, D. Kogan, M. Liogon'kii, and V. Talanov. Range and degree of realizability of formulas in the restricted predicate calculus. Kibernetica, 2:17–28, 1969. English translation in Cybernetics, 5:142–154, 1969.
- E. Grandjean. Complexity of the first order theory of almost all structures. Information and Control, 52:180–204, 1983.
- Y. Gurevich and S. Shelah. Fixed-point extensions of first order logic. In Proc 26th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 1985.
- S. Grumbach and C. Tollu. Asymptotic probabilities of query languages with counting. (In preparation)
- Y. Gurevich. Algebras of feasible functions. In Proc 24th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 210–214, 1983.
- N. Immerman and E. Lander. Complexity Theory Retrospective, chapter Describing Graphs: A First-Order Approach to Graph Canonization, pages 59–81. Springer Verlag, Ed. A. Selman, 1990.
- N. Immerman. Relational queries computable in polynomial time. Inf. and Control, 68:86–104, 1986.
- V. Knyazev. Zero-one law for an extension of first-order predicate language. Kybernetika, 2:110–113, 1990. English translation in Cybernetics, 26:292–296, 1990.
- P. Kolaitis and M.Y. Vardi. The decision problem for the probabilities of higher properties. In Proc. 19th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pages 425–435, 1987.
- P. Kolaitis and M.Y. Vardi. 0/1 laws and decision problems for fragments of second-order logic. In Proc. 3rd IEEE Symp. of Logic in Computer Science, pages 2–11, 1988.
- P. Kolaitis and M.Y. Vardi. 0/1 laws for infinitary logic. In Proc. 5th IEEE Symp. of Logic in Computer Science, pages 156–167, 1990.
- S. Lindell. An analysis of fixed-point queries on binary trees. Theorical Computer Science, 85:75–95, 1991.
- J. Lynch. Almost sure theories. Annals of Mathematical Logic, 18:91–135, 1980.
- M. Otto. The expressive power of fixed-point logic with counting. Draft, 1992.
- R. Rado. Universal graphs and universal functions. Acta Arithmetica, 9:331–340, 1964.
- M. Vardi. Relational queries computable in polynomial time. In Proc. 14th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pages 137–146, 1982.
- Query languages with counters
- Book Title
- Database Theory — ICDT '92
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International Conference Berlin, Germany, October 14–16, 1992 Proceedings
- pp 124-139
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.