A framework for adaptive sorting
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A sorting algorithm is adaptive if it sorts sequences that are close to sorted faster than it sorts random sequences, where the distance is determined by some measure of presortedness. Over the years several measures of presortedness have been proposed in the literature, but it has been far from clear how they relate to each other. We show that there exists a natural partial order on the set of measures, which makes it possible to say that some measures are superior to others. We insert all known measures of presortedness into the partial order, and thereby provide a powerful tool for evaluating both measures and adaptive sorting algorithms. We further present a new measure and show that it is a maximal known element in the partial order, and thus that any sorting algorithm that optimally adapts to the new measure also optimally adapts to all other known measures of presortedness.
- W.H. Burge. Sorting, trees, and measures of order. Inform. and Control, 1:181–197, 1958.
- S. Carlsson, C. Levcopoulos, and O. Petersson. Sublinear merging and Natural Mergesort. Algorithmica. To appear. Prel. version in Proc. Internat. Symp. on Algorithms, pages 251–260, LNCS 450, Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- C.R. Cook and D.J. Kim. Best sorting algorithms for nearly sorted lists. Comm. ACM, 23:620–624, 1980.
- G.R. Dromey. Exploiting partial order with Quicksort. Software—Practice and Experience, 14:509–518, 1984.
- V. Estivill-Castro and D. Wood. A new measure of presortedness. Inform. and Comput., 83:111–119, 1989.
- M.L. Fredman. How good is the information theory bound in sorting? Theoret. Comput. Sci., 1:355–361, 1976.
- J. Katajainen, C. Levcopoulos, and O. Petersson. Local Insertion Sort revisited. In Proc. Internat. Symp. on Optimal Algorithms, pages 239–253. LNCS 401, Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- D.E. Knuth. The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 3: Sorting and Searching. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1973.
- C. Levcopoulos and O. Petersson. Adaptive Heapsort. J. Algorithms. To appear. Prel. version in Proc. 1989 Workshop on Algorithms and Data Structures, pages 499–509, LNCS 382, Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- C. Levcopoulos and O. Petersson. Sorting shuffled monotone sequences. Inform. and Comput. To appear. Prel. version in Proc. 2nd Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm Theory, pages 181–191, LNCS 447, Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- H. Mannila. Measures of presortedness and optimal sorting algorithms. IEEE Trans. Comput., C-34:318–325, 1985.
- K. Mehlhorn. Data Structures and Algorithms, Vol. 1: Sorting and Searching. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1984.
- A.M. Moffat and O. Petersson. Historical searching and sorting. In Proc. Internat. Symp. on Algorithms, pages 263–272. LNCS 557, Springer-Verlag, 1991.
- O. Petersson. Adaptive Sorting. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, Lund Univ., Lund, Sweden, 1990.
- S.S. Skiena. Encroaching lists as a measure of presortedness. BIT, 28:775–784, 1988.
- A framework for adaptive sorting
- Book Title
- Algorithm Theory — SWAT '92
- Book Subtitle
- Third Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm Theory Helsinki, Finland, July 8–10, 1992 Proceedings
- pp 422-433
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.