Repeated matrix squaring for the parallel solution of linear systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Given a n×n nonsingular linear system Ax=b, we prove that the solution x can be computed in parallel time ranging from Ω(log n) to O(log2 n), provided that the condition number, μ(A), of A is bounded by a polynomial in n. In particular, if μ(A) = O(1), a time bound O(log n) is achieved. To obtain this result, we reduce the computation of x to repeated matrix squaring and prove that a number of steps independent of n is sufficient to approximate x up to a relative error 2−d, d=O(1). This algorithm has both theoretical and practical interest, achieving the same bound of previously published parallel solvers, but being far more simple.
- S. J. Berkowitz. On computing the determinant in small parallel time using a small number of processors. Inform. Process. Lett., 18:147–150, 1984. CrossRef
- B. Codenotti. Parallel solution of linear systems by repeated squaring. Applied Math. Letters, 3:19–20, 1990. CrossRef
- B. Codenotti and F. Flandoli. A monte carlo method for the parallel solution of linear systems. Journal of Complexity, 5:107–117, 1989. CrossRef
- B. Codenotti and M. Leoncini. Parallel Complexity of Linear System Solution. World Scientific Pu. Co., Singapore, 1991.
- S. A. Cook. A taxonomy of problems with fast parallel algorithms. Inform. and Control, 64:2–22, 1985. CrossRef
- D. Coppersmith and S. Winograd. Matrix multiplication via arithmetic progression. In Proc. 19th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 1–6, Berkeley, CA, 1987. Springer-Verlag.
- M. Cosnard and Y. Robert. Complexity of parallel QR factorization. J. Assoc. Cornput. Mach., 33:712–723, 1986.
- L. Csanky. Fast parallel matrix inversion algorithms. SIAM J. Comput., 5:618–623, 1976. CrossRef
- J. von zur Gathen. Parallel arithmetic computations: a survey. In Lecture notes in Computer Science, volume 233, pages 93–122. Springer-Verlag, New-York, 1986.
- J. von zur Gathen. Parallel linear algebra. In J. Reif, editor, Synthesis of Parallel Algorithms. 1991. to appear.
- G. H. Golub and C. F. van Loan. Matrix Computations. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md, 1989.
- V. Pan. Complexity of parallel matrix computations. Theoret. Comput. Sci., 54:65–85, 1987. CrossRef
- V. Pan and J. Reif. Efficient parallel solution of linear systems. In Proc. 17th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 143–152, 1985.
- V. Pan and J. Reif. Fast and efficient parallel solution of dense linear systems. Comput. and Math. with Appl., 17:1481–1491, 1989. CrossRef
- F. P. Preparata. Inverting a Vandermonde matrix in minimum parallel time. Inform. Process. Lett., 38:291–294, 1991. CrossRef
- A. H. Sameh and D. J. Kuck. On stable parallel linear systems solvers. J. Assoc. Comput. Mach., 25:81–91, 1978.
- Repeated matrix squaring for the parallel solution of linear systems
- Book Title
- PARLE '92 Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International PARLE Conference Paris, France, June 15–18, 1992 Proceedings
- pp 725-732
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.