Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling:Computing Lower Bounds by Solving Minimum Cut Problems
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We present a novel approach to compute Lagrangian lower bounds on the objective function value of a wide class of resource-constrained project scheduling problems. The basis is a polynomial-time algorithm to solve the following scheduling problem: Given a set of activities with start-time dependent costs and temporal constraints in the form of time windows, find a feasible schedule of minimum total cost. In fact, we show that any instance of this problem can be solved by a minimum cut computation in a certain directed graph.
We then discuss the performance of the proposed Lagrangian approach when applied to various types of resource-constrained project scheduling problems. An extensive computational study based on different established test beds in project scheduling shows that it can significantly improve upon the quality of other comparably fast computable lower bounds.
- M. Bartusch, R. H. Möhring, and F. J. Radermacher. Scheduling project networks with resource constraints and time windows. Annals of Operations Research, 16:201–240, 1988. CrossRef
- P. Brucker, A. Drexl, R. H. Möhring, K. Neumann, and E. Pesch. Resource-constrained project scheduling: Notation, classification, models, and methods. European Journal of Operational Research, 112:3–41, 1999. CrossRef
- P. Brucker and S. Knust. A linear programming and constraint propagation-based lower bound for the RCPSP. Technical Report 204, Osnabrücker Schriften zur Mathematik, 1998.
- C. C. B. Cavalcante, C. C. De Souza, M. W. P. Savelsbergh, Y. Wang, and L. A. Wolsey. Scheduling projects with labor constraints. CORE Discussion Paper 9859, Université Catholique de Louvain, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 1998.
- S. Chaudhuri, R. A. Walker, and J. E. Mitchell. Analyzing and exploiting the structure of the constraints in the ILP approach to the scheduling problem. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, 2:456–471, 1994. CrossRef
- B. Cherkassky and A. V. Goldberg. On implementing push-relabel method for the maximum flow problem. In Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization, pages 157–171, 1995.
- N. Christofides, R. Alvarez-Valdes, and J. Tamarit. Project scheduling with resource constraints: A branch-and-bound approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 29:262–273, 1987. CrossRef
- A. Drexl and A. Kimms. Optimization guided lower and upper bounds for the Resource Investment Problem. Technical Report 481, Manuskripte aus den Instituten für Betriebswirtschaftslehre der Universität Kiel, 1998.
- A. V. Goldberg and R. E. Tarjan. A new approach to the maximum-flow problem. Journal of the ACM, 35:921–940, 1988. CrossRef
- M. C. Golumbic. Algorithmic Graph Theory and Perfect Graphs. Academic Press, NewYork, 1980.
- J. Kallrath and J. M. Wilson. Business Optimisation using Mathematical Programming. Macmillan Business, London, U.K., 1997.
- R. Kolisch and A. Sprecher. PSPLIB-a project scheduling problem library. European Journal of Operational Research, 96:205–216, 1996. CrossRef
- A. Mingozzi, V. Maniezzo, S. Ricciardelli, and L. Bianco. An exact algorithm for the multiple resource-constraint project scheduling problem based on a new mathematical formulation. Management Science, 44:714–729, 1998.
- R. H. Möhring. Minimizing costs of resource requirements subject to a fixed completion time in project networks. Operations Research, 32:89–120, 1984.
- R. H. Möhring. Algorithmic aspects of comparability graphs and interval graphs. In I. Rival, editor, Graphs and Order, pages 41–101. D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, 1985.
- R. H. Möhring, A. S. Schulz, F. Sork, and M. Uetz. In preparation, 1999.
- A. A. B. Pritsker, L. J. Watters, and P. M. Wolfe. Multi project scheduling with limited resources: A zero-one programming approach. Management Science, 16:93–108, 1969. CrossRef
- M. W. P. Savelsbergh, R. N. Uma, and J. Wein. An experimental study of LP-based approximation algorithms for scheduling problems. In Proceedings of the Ninth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pages 453–462, 1998.
- M. Schäffter. Scheduling with respect to forbidden sets. Discrete Applied Mathematics, 72:141–154, 1997. CrossRef
- C. Schwindt. Generation of resource constrained project scheduling problems with minimal and maximal time lags. Technical Report 489, WIOR, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1996.
- Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling:Computing Lower Bounds by Solving Minimum Cut Problems
- Book Title
- Algorithms - ESA’ 99
- Book Subtitle
- 7th Annual European Symposium Prague, Czech Republic, July 16–18, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 139-150
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Department of Applied Mathematics and DIMATIA Centre, Charles University
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Technische Universität Berlin, Fachbereich Mathematik, Sekr. MA 6-1, Straße des 17. Juni 136, 10623, Berlin, Germany
- 6. MIT, Sloan School of Management and Operations Research Center, E53-361, 30Wadsworth St, Cambridge, MA, 02139
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.