Tiered Vectors: Efficient Dynamic Arrays for Rank-Based Sequences
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe a data structure, the tiered vector, which is an implementation of the Vector ADT that provides O(1/∈)worst case time performance for rank-based retrieval and O(n ∈) amortized time performance for rank-based insertion and deletion, for any fixed ∈ > 0. We also provide results from experiments involving the use of the tiered vector for ∈ = 1/2 in JDSL, the Data Structures Library in Java.
- P. Åke Larson. Dynamic hash tables. Communications of the ACM, 31(4), April 1988.
- R. Bayer and K. Unterauer. Prefix B-Trees. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 2(1): 11–26, March 1977. CrossRef
- J. Boyer. Algorithm allery: Resizable data structures. Dr. Dobb’s Journal, 23(1): 115–116, 118, 129, January 1998.
- A. Fraenkel, E. Reingold, and P. Saxena. Efficient management of dynamic tables. Information Processing Letters, 50:25–30, 1994. CrossRef
- M. L. Fredman and M. E. Saks. The cell probe complexity of dynamic data structures. In Proceedings of the Twenty First Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 345–354, Seattle, Washington, 15-17 May 1989.
- M. Goodrich and R. Tamassia. Data Structures and Algorithms in Java. John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- D. E. Knuth. The Art of Computer Programming: Fundamental Algorithms, volume 1. Addison-Wesley, 3 edition, 1997.
- D. E. Knuth. The Art of Computer Programming: Sorting and Searching, volume 3. Addison-Wesley, 3 edition, 1998.
- E. Sitarski. Algorithm alley: HATs: Hashed array trees. Dr. Dobb’s Journal, 21(11), September 1996.
- H. Wedekind. On the selection of access paths in a database system. In Proceedings of the IFIP Working Conference on Data Base Management. North-Holland Publishing Company, 1974.
- Tiered Vectors: Efficient Dynamic Arrays for Rank-Based Sequences
- Book Title
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Book Subtitle
- 6th International Workshop, WADS’99 Vancouver, Canada, August 11–14, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 205-216
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- data type
- dynamic array
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. School of Computer Science, Carleton University
- 5. School of Computer Science, Simon Fraser University
- 6. Center for Geometric Computing Providence, Brown University
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Johns Hopkins Univ., Baltimore, MD, 21218, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.