Tiered Vectors: Efficient Dynamic Arrays for Rank-Based Sequences
- Michael T. GoodrichAffiliated withJohns Hopkins Univ.
- , John G. KlossIIAffiliated withJohns Hopkins Univ.
We describe a data structure, the tiered vector, which is an implementation of the Vector ADT that provides O(1/∈)worst case time performance for rank-based retrieval and O(n ∈) amortized time performance for rank-based insertion and deletion, for any fixed ∈ > 0. We also provide results from experiments involving the use of the tiered vector for ∈ = 1/2 in JDSL, the Data Structures Library in Java.
Keywordsabstract data type vector dynamic array Java JDSL
- Tiered Vectors: Efficient Dynamic Arrays for Rank-Based Sequences
- Book Title
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Book Subtitle
- 6th International Workshop, WADS’99 Vancouver, Canada, August 11–14, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 205-216
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- data type
- dynamic array
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. School of Computer Science, Carleton University
- 5. School of Computer Science, Simon Fraser University
- 6. Center for Geometric Computing Providence, Brown University
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Johns Hopkins Univ., Baltimore, MD, 21218, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.