Cryptanalysis of the HFE Public Key Cryptosystem by Relinearization
The RSA public key cryptosystem is based on a single modular equation in one variable. A natural generalization of this approach is to consider systems of several modular equations in several variables. In this paper we consider Patarin’s Hidden Field Equations (HFE) scheme, which is believed to be one of the strongest schemes of this type. We represent the published system of multivariate polynomials by a single univariate polynomial of a special form over an extension field, and use it to reduce the cryptanalytic problem to a system of ∈m 2 quadratic equations in m variables over the extension field. Finally, we develop a new relinearization method for solving such systems for any constant ∈ > 0 in expected polynomial time. The new type of attack is quite general, and in a companion paper we use it to attack other multivariate algebraic schemes, such as the Dragon encryption and signature schemes. However, we would like to emphasize that the polynomial time complexities may be infeasibly large for some choices of the parameters, and thus some variants of these schemes may remain practically unbroken in spite of the new attack.
- D. Coppersmith, J. Stern and S. Vaudenay, The Security of the Birational Permutation Signature Scheme, Journal of Cryptology, 1997, pp. 207–221.
- H. Fell and W. Diffe, Analysis of a Public Key Approach Based on Polynomial Substitution, Crypto 85, Springer Verlag, pp. 340–349.
- A. Kipnis and A. Shamir, Cryptanalysis of the Oil and Vinegar Signature Scheme, Crypto 98, Springer Verlag, pp. 257–266.
- N. Koblitz Algebraic Aspects of Cryptography, Springer Verlag, 1998.
- T. Matsumoto and H. Imai, Public Quadratic Polynomial Tuples for Efficient Signature Verification and Message Encryption, Eurocrypt 88, Springer Verlag, pp. 419–453.
- H. Ong, C. P. Schnorr, and A. Shamir A Fast Signature Scheme Based on Quadratic Equations, Proc. 16-th ACM Symp. Theory of Computation, 1984, pp. 208–216.
- J. Patarin, Cryptanalysis of the Matsumoto and Imai Public Key Scheme of Eurocrypt 88, Crypto 95, Springer Verlag, pp.248–261.
- J. Patarin, Hidden Fields Equations (HFE) and Isomorphisms of Polynomials (IP): Two New Families of Asymmetric Algorithms, Eurocrypt 96, Springer Verlag, pp.33–48.
- J. Patarin, Asymmetric Cryptography with a Hidden Monomial, Crypto 96, Springer Verlag, pp. 45–60.
- J. Patarin, The Oil and Vinegar Algorithm for Signatures, presented at the Dagstuhl Workshop on Cryptography, September 97.
- Pollard, J. M., Schnorr, C. P. (1987) An Efficient Solution of the Congruence x2 + ky2 = m(mod n), IEEE Trans. Information Theory IT-33: pp. 702-709 CrossRef
- A. Shamir Efficient Signature Schemes Based on Birational Permutations, Crypto 93, Springer Verlag, pp.1–12.
- Cryptanalysis of the HFE Public Key Cryptosystem by Relinearization
- Book Title
- Advances in Cryptology — CRYPTO’ 99
- Book Subtitle
- 19th Annual International Cryptology Conference Santa Barbara, California, USA, August 15–19, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 19-30
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.