Fair Adaptive Bandwidth Allocation: A Rate Control Based Active Queue Management Discipline
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We propose Fair Adaptive Bandwidth Allocation (FABA), a buffer management discipline that ensures a fair bandwidth allocation amongst competing flows even in the presence of non-adaptive traffic. FABA is a rate control based active queue management discipline that provides explicit fairness and can be used to partition bandwidth in proportion to pre-assigned weights. FABA is well-suited for allocation of bandwidth to aggregate flows as required in the differentiated services framework. We study and compare FABA with other well known queue management disciplines and show that FABA ensures fair allocation of bandwidth across a much wider range of buffer sizes at a bottleneck router. FABA uses randomization and has an O(1) average time complexity, and, is therefore scalable. The space complexity of the proposed algorithm is O(B) where B is the buffer size at the bottleneck router. We argue that though FABA maintains per active-flow state, through O(1) computation, reasonably scalable implementations can be deployed which is sufficient for network edges and ISPs.
- Floyd, S., Jacobson, V.: Random Early Detection Gateways for Congestion Avoidance, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 1, No. 4, August 1993.
- Lin, D., Morris, R.: Dynamics of Random Early Detection, In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM, 1997.
- Pan, R., Prabhakar, B., Psounis, K.: CHOKe: A Stateless Active Queue Management Scheme for Approximating Fair Bandwidth Allocation, In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM’2000, Tel-Aviv, Israel, March 26–30, 2000.
- Suter, B., Lakshman, T.V., Stiliadis, D., Choudhury, A.: Efficient Active Queue Management for Internet Routers, Proc. INTEROP, 1998 Engineering Conference.
- McCanne, S., Floyd, S.: ns-Network Simulator, http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/ns/
- Kamra, A., Kapila, S., Khurana, V., Yadav, V., Saran, H., Juneja, S., Shorey, R.: SFED: A Rate Control Based Active Queue Management Discipline, IBM India Research Laboratory Research Report # 00A018, November, 2000. http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~srajeev/publications.htm
- Kamra, A., Saran, H., Sen, S., Shorey, R.: Full version of this paper, http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~srajeev/publications.htm
- Fair Adaptive Bandwidth Allocation: A Rate Control Based Active Queue Management Discipline
- Book Title
- NETWORKING 2002: Networking Technologies, Services, and Protocols; Performance of Computer and Communication Networks; Mobile and Wireless Communications
- Book Subtitle
- Second International IFIP-TC6 Networking Conference Pisa, Italy, May 19–24, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 838-849
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto di Informatica e Telematica
- 2. Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University
- 3. Center for Wireless Communications, National University of Singapore
- 4. EEE Department, The University of Melbourne
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, 110016, India
- 6. CSE Department, I.I.T, New Delhi
- 7. IBM India Research Laboratory, New Delhi
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.