- Sabine Bachl
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We are interested in finding symmetries in graphs and then use these symmetries for graph drawing algorithms. There are two general approaches to this problem, the first one is known as Geometric Symmetries on the basis of drawings, the other rests upon the graph-theoretical notion of graphs. For a given graph G the Isomorphic Subgraphs problem makes use of the second approach and tries to find the two largest disjoint isomorphic subgraphs in G. Hence, G consists of two identical copies and a remainder. There are many NP-complete or open problems related to our problem, like Graph Isomorphism, Graph Automorphism or Largest Common Subgraph. We show that the Isomorphic Subgraphs problem is NP-hard for connected outerplanar graphs, and 2-connected planar graphs and is solvable in linear time when restricted to trees. Additionally we will shortly discuss the applicability of Isomorphic Subgraphs in graph drawing algorithms
- W. Bachl. Entwicklung und Implementierung eines Hierarchischen Springem-bedders. Diplomarbeit, Universität Passau, 1995.
- F. J. Brandenburg. Designing graph drawings by layout graph grammars. In Proc. Graph Drawing 1994, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 894, pages 416–427. Springer, 1995.
- F.J. Brandenburg and S. Wetzel. On pairs of large common subgraphs. unpublished manuscript, http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~wetzel/paper/, 1998.
- Qing-Wen Feng, Robert F. Cohen, and Peter Eades. How to draw a planar clustered graph. In Ding-Zhu Du and Ming Li, editors, Computing and Combinatorics COCOON’ 95, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 959, pages 21–30. Springer, 1995. CrossRef
- Qing-Wen Feng, Robert F. Cohen, and Peter Eades. Planarity for clustered graphs. In Paul Spirakis, editor, Algorithms-ESA’ 95, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 979, pages 213–226. Springer, 1995.
- M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson. Computers and Intractability. A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W.H. Freeman, 1979.
- D. Gusfield. Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences: Computer Science and Computational Biology. Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- R.E. Ladner. On the structure of polynomial time reducibility. Journal of the ACM, 22:155–171, 1975. CrossRef
- Giorgio Levi and Fabrizio Luccio. A technique for graph embedding with constraints on node and arc correspondences. Information Sciences, 5:1–24, 1973. CrossRef
- Andrzej Lingas. Subgraph isomorphism for biconnected outerplanar graphs in cubic time. Theoretical Computer Science, 63:295–302, 1989. CrossRef
- R. J. Lipton, S. C. North, and J. S. Sandberg. A method for drawing graphs. In Proc. ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pages 153–160. ACM, 1985.
- A. Lubiw. Some NP-complete problems similar to graph isomorphism. SIAM J. Comput., 10(1):11–21, 1981. CrossRef
- J. Manning. Geometric Symmetry in Graphs. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, Purdue University, 1990.
- J. Manning and M. J. Atallah. Fast detection and display of symmetry in trees. Congressus Numerantium, 64:159–168, 1988.
- J. Manning and M.J. Atallah. Fast detection and display of symmetry in outer-planar graphs. Discrete Applied Mathematics, 39:13–35, 1992. CrossRef
- H. Purchase. Which aesthetic has the greatest effect on human understanding. In Proc. Graph Drawing 1997, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1353, pages 248–261. Springer, 1997. CrossRef
- H. C. Purchase, R. F. Cohen, and M. James. Validating graph drawing aesthetics. In Proc. Graph Drawing 1995, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1027, pages 435–446. Springer, 1996. CrossRef
- Ronald C. Read and Derek G. Corneil. The graph isomorphism disease. Journal of Graph Theory, 1:339–363, 1977. CrossRef
- Steven W. Reyner. An analysis of a good algorithm for the subtree problem. SIAM J. Comput., 6(4):730–732, 1977. CrossRef
- U. Schöning. Graph isomorphism is in the low hierarchy. Journal. Comput. Syst. Science, 37:312–323, 1987. CrossRef
- Maciej M. Syslo. The subgraph isomorphism problem for outerplanar graphs. Theoretical Computer Science, 17:91–97, 1982. CrossRef
- E. Ukkonen. On-line construction of suffix-trees. In Algorithmica 14, pages 249–260, 1995.
- P. Weiner. Linear pattern matching algorithms. In Proc. of the 14th IEEE Symp. on Switching and Automata Theory, pages 1–11, 1973.
- F. Frances Yao. Graph 2-isomorphism is NP-complete. Information Processing Letters, 9(2):68–72, August 1979. CrossRef
- Isomorphic Subgraphs
- Book Title
- Graph Drawing
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Symposium, GD’99 Štiřín Castle, Czech Republic September 15–19, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 286-296
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.