Using Sifting for k-Layer Straightline Crossing Minimization
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We present a new algorithm for k-layer straightline crossing minimization which is based on sifting that is a heuristic for dynamic reordering of decision diagrams used during logic synthesis and formal verification of logic circuits. The experiments prove sifting to be very efficient. In particular it outperforms the traditional layer by layer sweep based heuristics known from literature by far when applied to k-layered graphs with k ≥ 3.
- P. Eades and D. Kelly. Heuristics for reducing crossings in 2-layered networks. Ars Combin., 21.A:89–98, 1986.
- P. Eades and S. Whitesides. Drawing graphs in two layers. Theoretical Computer Science, 131:361–374, 1994. CrossRef
- P. Eades and N. C. Wormald. Edge crossings in drawings of bipartite graphs. Algorithmica, 11(4):379–403, 1994. CrossRef
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson. Crossing number is NP-complete. SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods, 4:312–316, 1983. CrossRef
- M. Jünger and P. Mutzel. 2-Layer straightline crossing minimization: Performance of exact and heuristic algorithms. J. Graph Algorithms Appl., 1(1):1–25, 1997.
- D. E. Knuth. The Stanford GraphBase: A Platform for Combinatorial Computing. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1993.
- E. Mäkinen. Experiments on drawing 2-level hierarchical graphs. Internat. J. Comput. Math., 36:175–181, 1990. CrossRef
- P. Mutzel, C. Gutwenger, R. Brockenauer, S. Fialko, G. W. Klau, M. Krüger, T. Ziegler, S. Näher, D. Alberts, D. Ambras, G. Koch, M. Jünger, C. Buchheim, and S. Leipert. A library of algorithms for graph drawing. In S. H. Whitesides, editor, Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’ 98), volume 1547 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 456–457. Springer, 1998. Project home page at http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/AGD/.
- K. Mehlhorn and S. Näher. The Leda Platform of Combinatorial and Geometric Computing. Cambridge University Press, 1999. Project home page at http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/LEDA/.
- R. Rudell. Dynamic variable ordering for ordered binary decision diagrams. In Proc. International Conf. on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD), pages 42–47, November 1993.
- K. Sugiyama, S. Tagawa, and M. Toda. Methods for visual understanding of hierarchical system structures. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 11(2):109–125, February 1981. CrossRef
- Using Sifting for k-Layer Straightline Crossing Minimization
- Book Title
- Graph Drawing
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Symposium, GD’99 Štiřín Castle, Czech Republic September 15–19, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 217-224
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Jan Kratochvíyl (4)
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Faculty of Mathematics and Physics School of Computer Science, Department of Applied Mathematics, Charles University
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Institute for Computer Science, University Halle-Wittenberg, Kurt-Mothes-Strasse 1, D-06120, Halle(Saale), Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.