Golden Times for Digital Rights Management?
- Tomas Sander
- … show all 1 hide
Music, books and video can be distributed very cost effectively over the Internet to end consumers. As bandwidth capacity is growing and getting cheaper, the economics is so clearly on the side of digital distribution that distribution of digital goods on the Internet will surely happen. Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology makes it possible to manage all the intellectual property aspects of electronic distribution and also the exchange of value for receiving digital goods. Thus it is a key component of any electronic marketplace for information goods. In this paper I will point to some of the reasons that digital distribution (and thereby DRM) will be successful in a mass market; point to some common misconceptions about DRM; argue that we have most of the core technology for an attractive, yet still reasonably secure, DRM system in place; and discuss how security and privacy features can and should be implemented.
- OECD, “Guidelines on the Protection of Privacy and Transborder Flows of Personal Data”, 1980, http://www.oecd.org/dsti/sti/it/secur/prod/PRIV-EN.HTM.
- A.M. Odlyzko, “The history of communications and its implications for the Internet”, http://www.research.att.com/~amo/~L.
- A.M. Odlyzko, “Stronger copyright protection for cyberspace: desirable, inevitable, and irrelevant”, Presentation at DIM ACS Workshop on Management of Digital Intellectual Property, 2000.
- D. Weekly, “Gnutella and the State of P2P”, http://david.weekly.org/writings/p2p.php3.
- Golden Times for Digital Rights Management?
- Book Title
- Financial Cryptography
- Book Subtitle
- 5th International Conference, FC 2001 Grand Cayman, British West Indies, February 19–22, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 64-74
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.