Mixtures of Autoregressive Models for Financial Risk Analysis
- Alberto Suárez
- … show all 1 hide
The structure of the time-series of returns for the IBEX35 stock index is analyzed by means of a class of non-linear models that involve probabilistic mixtures of autoregressive processes. In particular, a specification and implementation of probabilistic mixtures of GARCH processes is presented. These mixture models assume that the time series is generated by one of a set of alternative autoregressive models whose probabilities are produced by a gating network. The ultimate goal is to provide an adequate framework for the estimation of conditional risk measures, which can account for non-linearities, heteroskedastic structure and extreme events in financial time series. Mixture models are sufficiently flexible to provide an adequate description of these features and can be used as an effective tool in financial risk analysis.
- R. Jacobs and M. Tanner. Mixtures of X. In A. J. C. Sharkey, editor, Combining Artificial Neural Nets, pages 267–296, London, 1999. Springer.
- A. S. Weigend, M. Mangeas, and A. N. Srivastava. Nonlinear gated experts for time series: Discovering regimes and avoiding overfitting. International Journal of Neural Systems, 6(4):373–399, 1995. CrossRef
- A. J. Zeevi, R. Meir, and R. J. Adler. Non-linear models for time series using mixtures of autorregressive models. Preprint, 1999.
- C. S. Wong and W. K. Li. On a mixture autoregressive model. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, 62:95–115, 2000. CrossRef
- G. González-Rivera. Smooth transition GARCH models. Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 3:61–78, 1998. CrossRef
- S. Lundbergh and T. Tersvirta. Modelling economic high-frequency time series with STAR-GARCH models. Working Paper, No. 291, Stockholm School of Economics, 1998.
- J. D. Hamilton. Time Series Analysis. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1994.
- M. I. Jordan and R. A. Jacobs. Hierarchical mixtures of experts and the EM algorithm. Neural Computation, 6:181–214, 1994. CrossRef
- Mixtures of Autoregressive Models for Financial Risk Analysis
- Book Title
- Artificial Neural Networks — ICANN 2002
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference Madrid, Spain, August 28–30, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 1186-1191
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.