Security Flaws Induced by CBC Padding — Applications to SSL, IPSEC, WTLS...
- Serge Vaudenay
- … show all 1 hide
In many standards, e.g. SSL/TLS, IPSEC, WTLS, messages are first pre-formatted, then encrypted in CBC mode with a block cipher. Decryption needs to check if the format is valid. Validity of the format is easily leaked from communication protocols in a chosen ciphertext attack since the receiver usually sends an acknowledgment or an error message. This is a side channel.
In this paper we show various ways to perform an efficient side channel attack. We discuss potential applications, extensions to other padding schemes and various ways to fix the problem.
- Security Flaws Induced by CBC Padding — Applications to SSL, IPSEC, WTLS...
- Book Title
- Advances in Cryptology — EUROCRYPT 2002
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference on the Theory and Applications of Cryptographic Techniques Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 28 – May 2, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 534-545
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.