Notions of Computation Determine Monads
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We model notions of computation using algebraic operations and equations. We show that these generate several of the monads of primary interest that have been used to model computational effects, with the striking omission of the continuations monad. We focus on semantics for global and local state, showing that taking operations and equations as primitive yields a mathematical relationship that reflects their computational relationship.
- S. O. Anderson and A. J. Power, A Representable Approach to Finite Nondeterminism, in Theoret. Comput. Sci., Vol. 177, No. 1, pp. 3–25, 1997. CrossRef
- N. Benton, J. Hughes, and E. Moggi, Monads and Effects, APPSEM’ 00 Summer School, 2000.
- M. P. Fiore, E. Moggi, and D. Sangiorgi, A Fully-Abstract Model for the pi-Calculus, in Proc. LICS’ 96, pp. 43–54, Washington: IEEE Press, 1996.
- R. Heckmann, Probabilistic Domains, in Proc. CAAP’ 94, LNCS, Vol. 136, pp. 21–56, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1994.
- M. C. B. Hennessy and G. D. Plotkin, Full Abstraction for a Simple Parallel Programming Language, in Proc. MFCS’ 79 (ed. J. Beĉvár), LNCS, Vol. 74, pp. 108–120, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1979.
- J. M. E. Hyland, G. D. Plotkin, and A. J. Power, Combining Computataional Effects: Commutativity and Sum, submitted, 2002.
- C. Jones, Probabilistic Non-Determinism, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Edinburgh, Report ECS-LFCS-90-105, 1990.
- C. Jones and G. D. Plotkin, A Probabilistic Powerdomain of Evaluations, in Proc. LICS’ 89, pp. 186–195, Washington: IEEE Press, 1989.
- G. M. Kelly, Basic Concepts of Enriched Category Theory, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982.
- G. M. Kelly and A. J. Power, Adjunctions whose Counits are Coequalizers, and Presentations of Finitary Enriched Monads, in J. Pure Appl. Algebra, Vol. 89, pp. 163–179, 1993. CrossRef
- P. B. Levy, Call-by-Push-Value: A Subsuming Paradigm, Ph.D. thesis, Queen Mary College, 2001.
- P. B. Levy, Call-by-Push-Value, in Proc. TLCA’ 99 (ed. J.-Y. Girard), LNCS, Vol. 1581, pp. 228–242, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1999.
- S. Mac Lane, Categories for the Working Mathematician, Springer-Verlag, 1971.
- E. Moggi, Computational Lambda-Calculus and Monads, in Proc. LICS’ 89, pp. 14–23, Washington: IEEE Press, 1989.
- E. Moggi, An Abstract View of Programming Languages, University of Edinburgh, Report ECS-LFCS-90-113, 1989.
- E. Moggi, Notions of computation and monads, Inf. and Comp., Vol. 93, No. 1, pp. 55–92, 1991. CrossRef
- P. W. O’Hearn and R. D. Tennent, Algol-like Languages, Progress in Theoretical Computer Science, Boston: Birkhauser, 1997.
- G. D. Plotkin, Domains, URL: http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/gdp, 1983.
- G. D. Plotkin and A. J. Power, Adequacy for Algebraic Effects, in Proc. FOSSACS 2001 (eds. F. Honsell and M. Miculan), LNCS, Vol. 2030, pp. 1–24, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2001.
- G. D. Plotkin and A. J. Power, Semantics for Algebraic Operations (extended abstract), in Proc. MFPS XVII (eds. S. Brookes and M. Mislove), ENTCS, Vol. 45, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2001.
- A. J. Power, Enriched Lawvere Theories, in Theory and Applications of Categories, pp. 83–93, 2000.
- I. Stark, Names and Higher-Order Functions, Ph.D. thesis, University of Cambridge, 1994.
- I. Stark, Categorical Models for Local Names, in Lisp and Symbolic Computation, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 77–107, 1996. and CrossRef
- Notions of Computation Determine Monads
- Book Title
- Foundations of Software Science and Computation Structures
- Book Subtitle
- 5th International Conference, FOSSACS 2002 Held as Part of the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS 2002 Grenoble, France, April 8–12, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 342-356
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.