Kademlia: A Peer-to-Peer Information System Based on the XOR Metric
We describe a peer-to-peer distributed hash table with provable consistency and performance in a fault-prone environment. Our system routes queries and locates nodes using a novel XOR-based metric topology that simplifies the algorithm and facilitates our proof. The topology has the property that every message exchanged conveys or reinforces useful contact information. The system exploits this information to send parallel, asynchronous query messages that tolerate node failures without imposing timeout delays on users.
- A. Rowstron and P. Druschel. Pastry: Scalable, distributed object location and routing for large-scale peer-to-peer systems. Accepted for Middleware, 2001, 2001. http://research.microsoft.com/~antr/pastry/.
- Ben Y. Zhao, John Kubiatowicz, and Anthony Joseph. Tapestry: an infrastructure for fault-tolerant wide-area location and routing. Technical Report UCB/CSD-01-1141, U.C. Berkeley, April 2001.
- Andréa W. Richa C. Greg Plaxton, Rajmohan Rajaraman. Accessing nearby copies of replicated objects in a distributed environment. In Proceedings of the ACM SPAA, pages 311–320, June 1997.
- Stefan Saroiu, P. Krishna Gummadi and Steven D. Gribble. A Measurement Study of Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems. Technical Report UW-CSE-01-06-02, University of Washington, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, July 2001.
- Ion Stoica, Robert Morris, David Karger, M. Frans Kaashoek, and Hari Balakrishnan. Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM’ 01 Conference, San Diego, California, August 2001.
- Kademlia: A Peer-to-Peer Information System Based on the XOR Metric
- Book Title
- Peer-to-Peer Systems
- Book Subtitle
- First InternationalWorkshop, IPTPS 2002 Cambridge, MA, USA, March 7–8, 2002 Revised Papers
- pp 53-65
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.