Using Contextual Information to Selectively Adjust Preprocessing Parameters
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It is generally accepted that some of the problems and ambiguities at the low level of recognition and processing can not be resolved without taking into account contextual expectations. However, in most recognition systems in use today, preprocessing is done using only bottom-up information. In this work we present a working system that is inspired by human perception and can use contextual information to modify preprocessing of local regions of the input pattern in order to improve recognition. This is especially useful, and often necessary, during the recognition of complex objects where changing the preprocessing of one section improves recognition of that section but has an adverse effect on the rest of the object. We present the results of our recognition system applied to on-line cursive script where in some cases the error rate is decreased by 20%.
- Y. Bengio, Y. LeCun, C. Nohl, and C. Burges. Lerec: A NN/HMM hybrid for on-line handwriting recognition. Neural Computation, 7:1289–1303, 1995. CrossRef
- H. Bourlard and C. Wellekens. Links between hidden Markov models and multilayer perceptrons. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 12:1167–1178, 1990. CrossRef
- M. Cote, E. Lecolinet, M. Cheriet, and C. Suen. Automatic reading of cursive scripts using a reading model and perceptual concepts. Internatinal Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition, 1997.
- W. Guerfali and R. Plamondon. Normalizing and restoring on-line handwriting. Pattern Recognition, 26(3):419–431, 1993. CrossRef
- J. Hu, M. Brown, and W. Turin. HMM based on-line handwriting recognition. IEEE PAMI, 18(10):1039–1045, 1996.
- J. McClelland and D. Rumelhart. An interactive activation model of context effects in letter perception. Psychological Reviews, 88:375–407, 1981. CrossRef
- P. Morasso, L. Barberis, S. Pagliano, and D. Vergano. Recognition experiments of cursive dynamic handwriting with self-organizing networks. Pattern Recognition, 26(3):451–460, 1993. CrossRef
- K. Nathan, H. Beigi, J. Subrahmonia, G. Clary, and H. Maruyama. Real-time on-line unconstrained handwriting recognition using statistical methods. In International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, volume 4, pages 2619–2613, 1995.
- P. Neskovic and L. Cooper. Neural network-based context driven recognition of on-line cursive script. In 7th International Workshop on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, pages 352–362, 2000.
- P. Neskovic, P. Davis, and L. Cooper. Interactive parts model: an application to recognition of on-line cursive script. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 2000.
- D.E. Rumelhart. Theory to practice: A case study-recognizing cursive handwriting. In E.B. Baum, editor, Computational Learning and Cognition: Proceedings of the Third NEC Research Symposium. SIAM, Philadelphia, 1993.
- M. Schenkel, I. Guyon, and D. Henderson. On-line cursive script recognition using time delay neural networks and hidden markov models. Machine Vision and Applications, 8:215–223, 1995. CrossRef
- Using Contextual Information to Selectively Adjust Preprocessing Parameters
- Book Title
- Bio-Inspired Applications of Connectionism
- Book Subtitle
- 6th International Work-Conference on Artificial and Natural Neural Networks, IWANN 2001 Granada, Spain, June 13–15, 2001 Proceedings, Part II
- pp 696-703
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial, Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia
- 5. Departamento de Arquitectura y Tecnología de Computadores, Universidad de Granada
- Author Affiliations
- 6. Physics Department and Institute for Brain and Neural Systems, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.