Integrating Temporal Assertions into a Parallel Debugger
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe the use of temporal logic formulas as runtime assertions in a parallel debugging environment. The user asserts in a message passing program the expected system behavior by one or several such formulas. The debugger allows by “macro-stepping” to interactively elaborate the execution tree (i.e., the set of possible execution paths) which arises from the use of non-deterministic communication operations. In each macro-step, a temporal logic checker verifies that the once asserted temporal formulas are not violated by the current program state. Our approach thus introduces powerful runtime assertions into parallel and distributed debugging by incorporating ideas from the model checking of temporal formulas.
- E. M. Clarke, Jr., O. Grumberg, and D. A. Peled. Model Checking. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1999.
- J. Cuny et al. The Ariadne Debugger: Scalable Application of Event-Based Abstraction. SIGPLAN Notices, 28(12):85–95, December 1993.
- D. Drusinsky. The Temporal Rover and the ATG Rover. In SPIN Model Checking and Software Verification, 7th International SPIN Workshop, volume 1885 of LNCS, pages 323–330, Stanford, CA, August 30-September 1, 2000. Springer. CrossRef
- J. Hakansson. Automated Generation of Test Scripts from Temporal Logic Specifications. Master’s thesis, Uppsala University, Sweden, 2000.
- A. Hough and J. Cuny. Initial Experiences with a Pattern-Oriented Parallel Debugger. SIGPLAN Notices, 24(1):195–205, January 1988.
- P. Kacsuk. Systematic Macrostep-by Macrostep Debugging of Message Passing Parallel Programs. Future Generation Computer Systems, 16(6):609–624, 2000. CrossRef
- P. Kacsuk, R. Lovas, and J. Kovács. Systematic Debugging of Parallel Programs in DIWIDE Based on Collective Breakpoints and Macrosteps. In P. Amestoy et al., editors, 5th Euro-Par Conference, volume 1685 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 90–97, Toulouse, France, August 31 — September 3, 1999. Springer.
- D. Kranzlmüller. Event Graph Analysis for Debugging Massively Parallel Programs. PhD thesis, Johannes Kepler University, September 2000.
- D. Kranzlmüller and J. Volkert. NOPE: A Nondeterministic Program Evaluator. In Parallel Computation, 4th International AC PC Conference, volume 1557 of LNCS, pages 490–499, Salzburg, Austria, February 16-18, 1999. Springer.
- Z. Manna and A. Pnueli. The Temporal Logic of Reactive and Concurrent Systems — Specification. Springer, Berlin, 1992.
- S. Shende et al. Event-and State-based Debugging in TAU: A Prototype. In ACM SIGMETRICS Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Tools, pages 21–30, Philadelphia, PA, May 1996.
- Integrating Temporal Assertions into a Parallel Debugger
- Book Title
- Euro-Par 2002 Parallel Processing
- Book Subtitle
- 8th International Euro-Par Conference Paderborn, Germany, August 27–30, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 113-120
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Fachbereich 17, Mathematik und Informatik, Universität Paderborn
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Computer and Automation Research Institute (MTA SZTAKI), Budapest, Hungary
- 6. Research Institute for Symbolic Computation (RISC-Linz), Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.