Compression and Information Leakage of Plaintext
- John Kelsey
- … show all 1 hide
Cryptosystems like AES and triple-DES are designed to encrypt a sequence of input bytes (the plaintext) into a sequence of output bytes (the ciphertext) in such a way that the output carries no information about that plaintext except its length. In recent years, concerns have been raised about ”side-channel” attacks on various cryptosystems—attacks that make use of some kind of leaked information about the cryptographic operations (e.g., power consumption or timing) to defeat them. In this paper, we describe a somewhat different kind of side-channel provided by data compression algorithms, yielding information about their inputs by the size of their outputs. The existence of some information about a compressor’s input in the size of its output is obvious; here, we discuss ways to use this apparently very small leak of information in surprisingly powerful ways.
- Benedetto, Caglioti, and Loreto, Physical Review Letters, 28 January 2002.
- Usenet group comp.compression FAQ file, available at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/, 2001.
- Kocher, Jaffe, Jun, “Differential power analysis: Leaking secrets,” in Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’99, Springer-Verlag, 1999
- Kocher, “Timing Attack on Implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA, DSS and other systems,” in Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’ 96, Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- Kelsey, Schneier, Wagner, Hall, “Side Channel Cryptanalysis of Product Ciphers,” in Advances in Cryptology-ESORICS 96, Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- David Salomon, Data Compression: The Complete Reference, Springer-Verlag, 1997.
- Doug Whiting, personal communication, 2002.
- Compression and Information Leakage of Plaintext
- Book Title
- Fast Software Encryption
- Book Subtitle
- 9th International Workshop, FSE 2002 Leuven, Belgium, February 4–6, 2002 Revised Papers
- pp 263-276
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.