Revisiting the Cardinality Operator and Introducing the Cardinality-PathConstraint Family
This paper revisits the classical cardinality operator introducing new propagation rules that operate on variables that occur in more than one constraint. It also introduces a restricted case of the cardinality operator which is characterized by a structure of sliding constraints on consecutive variables. We call it cardinality-path and take advantage of these restrictions in order to come up with more efficient propagation algorithms. From an application point of view the cardinality-path constraint allows to express a host of regulation constraints occurring in personnel planning problems. We have used the metaprogramming services of Prolog in order to implement the cardinality-path constraint within SICStus Prolog.
- Beldiceanu, N.: Global Constraints as Graph Properties on Structured Network of Elementary Constraints of the Same Type. SICS Technical Report T2000/01, (2000).
- Dincbas, M., Simonis, H., Van Hentenryck, P.: Solving the Car-Sequencing Problem in Constraint Logic Programming. ECAI 1988, 290–295, (1988).
- Van Hentenryck, P., Deville, Y.: The Cardinality Operator: A New Logical Connective for Constraint Logic Programming. ICLP 1991, 745–759, (1991).
- Van Hentenryck, P., Saraswat, V., Deville, Y.: Design, Implementation and Evaluation of the Constraint Language cc(FD). In A. Podelski, ed., Constraints: Basics and Trends, vol. 910 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, (1995).
- Wüz, J., Müller, T.: Constructive Disjunction Revisited. In 20 th German Annual Conf. On AI, LNAI 1137, 377-386, eds. G. Görz and S. Hölldobler, Springer-Verlag, (1996).
- Revisiting the Cardinality Operator and Introducing the Cardinality-PathConstraint Family
- Book Title
- Logic Programming
- Book Subtitle
- 17thInternational Conference, ICLP 2001 Paphos, Cyprus, November 26 – December 1, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 59-73
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.