Sweep as a Generic Pruning Technique Applied to the Non-overlapping Rectangles Constraint
- Nicolas BeldiceanuAffiliated withSICS
- , Mats CarlssonAffiliated withSICS
We first presen ta generic pruning technique which aggregates several constraints sharing some variables. The method is derived from an idea called sweep which is extensively used in computational geometry. A first benefit of this technique comes from the fact that it can be applied to several families of global constraints. A second advantage is that it does not lead to any memory consumption problem since it only requires temporary memory which can be reclaimed after each invocation of the method.
We then specialize this technique to the non-overlapping rectangles constraint, describe several optimizations, and give an empirical evaluation based on six sets of test instances with different characteristics.
- Sweep as a Generic Pruning Technique Applied to the Non-overlapping Rectangles Constraint
- Book Title
- Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming — CP 2001
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Conference, CP 2001 Paphos, Cyprus, November 26 – December 1, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 377-391
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.