A Compact, Thread-Safe Communication Library for Efficient Cluster Computing
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe a compact, thread-safe communication library for cluster computing. The library provides the most used communication functions, such as point-to-point send/receives and broadcast, scatter and gather collective operations. In addition, our library allows processes running on different processing elements of a cluster to share portions of memory. We show experimental results that demonstrate the library outperforms classical implementations of MPI (mpich) in collective operations and achieves comparable performance in point-to-point communications on Beowulf class workstation clusters.
- M. Baker and R. Buyya. Cluster Computing at a Glance. In Rajkumar Buyya, editor, High Performance Cluster Computing, pages 3–47. Prentice Hall, 1999.
- W. Gropp and E. Lusk. The MPI communication library: its design and a portable implementation. In Proceedings of the Scalable Parallel Libraries Conference, pages 160–165. IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1993. Mississippi.
- Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack Dongarra, Weicheng Jiang, Robert Manchek, and Vaidy Sunderam. PVM 3 Users Guide and Reference Manual. Technical report, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, September 1994.
- William D. Gropp and Ewing Lusk. User’s Guide mpich, a Portable Implementation of MPI. Technical Report ANL-96/6, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, 1996.
- A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, A. Geist, R. Manchek, and V. Sunderam. A User’s Guide to PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine). Technical Report TM-11826, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, June 1991.
- W. Richard Stevens. UNIX Network Programming. Prentice Hall, 1999. Second Edition, Vol. 1 and 2.
- S._J. Norton and M. D. DiPasquale. THREADTIME The multithreaded programming guide. Prentice Hall, 1997.
- R. Rabenseifner, P. Gottshling, W. E. Nagel, and S. Seidl. Effective performance problem detection of MPI programs on MPP systems: From the global view to the detail. In Proceedings of the ParCo’99 Conference — Parallel Computing, 1999.
- Andrews S. Tanenbaum. Computer Networks. Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Cray Resarch Inc. Cray C/C++ Reference Manual. Technical Report SR-2196, Cray Research Inc., 1998.
- W.D. Gropp, E. Lusk, N. Doss, and A. Skjellum. An high-performance, portable implementation of the MPI message passing interface standard. Parallel Computing, September 1996.
- A Compact, Thread-Safe Communication Library for Efficient Cluster Computing
- Book Title
- High Performance Computing and Networking
- Book Subtitle
- 8th International Conference, HPCN Europe 2000 Amsterdam, The Netherlands, May 8–10, 2000 Proceedings
- Book Part
- pp 407-416
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Institute of Computer Science and Academic Computer Center CYFRONET, University of Mining and Metallurgy (AGH)
- 5. Faculteit der Natuurwetenschappen, Wiskunde en Informatica, Universiteit van Amsterdam
- 6. California Institute of Technology
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Dept. Computer Science, University of Pisa, Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.